We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
111 reviews
SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

Hi, I'm heading for Athens on the 3rd May 2011. Anyone knows if I can get a pre-paid SIM card at the airport and which operator?

Also, is it possible for me to get a micro-SIM too? Bringing my iPhone and iPad along :)

Thanks!

E Fang

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
1. Re: SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

There are several posts about this on the forum, here's one of them: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k4394…

Use the search option above for more.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

Hi, i am travelling to Athens next year, can I find out if u managed to get the pre-paid simcard IPAD? Do u have any recommendations?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
111 reviews
3. Re: SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

Hi, I got a pre-paid SIM card from WIND (in Athens City) for 5 EUR for 500MB. I didn't ask them if they've a pre-paid micro-sim for IPAD though but the sim card activation process looks complicated. Luckily the staffs at the WIND shop did it for me. If they don't have one for micro-sim, I would suggest you bring a micro-sim card cutter there and cut the pre-paid sim?

If you're living in SG now, you can just goto Funan or Sim Lim Square and get a micro-sim card cutter for <15 bucks.

Having internet on the go is an excellent feeling. I can practically surf the Internet to check for attractions, history or look for food, check emails, whatsapp my friends and use google maps for navigation in Athens (not so much for the isles) whereever I go. This feeling is so good!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

hi efang, thanks for your advice. we are currently in SG. we would like to be able to surf the net on the go like u mentioned. no replies on this forum to my post so far on Micro SIM.

May i know where is the shop (WIND) u mentioned in Athens?We'll be stayng at Hermes Hotel, Plaka area. is this shop nearby? BTW, have not heard of being able to cut SIM car to become Micro SIM card. How should i find out more? Telcos? or else will go down to Funan to find out. Which shop in Funan sells the SIM card cutter?

THanks in advance for sharing!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
110 posts
965 reviews
5. Re: SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

How much did your sim plus data cost? I bought a gps and Europe maps micro sd card for it so I wouldn't have to pay for data roaming from my US provider.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
87 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

I found a couple of pages that mention that WIND has a micro-SIM available. If you are in the Plaka, there is a WIND store at 7 Stadiou, which would be about a ten minute walk away.

For costs on the SIM and data use, look at their website: www.wind.com.gr

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
85 reviews
7. Re: SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

The wind shop said they won't have mini sims till sept available for foreigners. Vodafone in syntagma sq do - 5 eoro for 200mb download & calls etc. Can ring other vodafone 600mins free time! Only in greece i imagine. This is all thru language barrier soar not be 100 percent correct but working so far.

Centurion
2 posts
8. Re: SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

Would appreciate if anybody could assist me, I am coming over on 3 weeks holiday to Greece from South Africa in 2 weeks time and would like to know the following:

1) Where can I purchase a pre-paid data bundle for a micro sim for an I-pad2?

2) What are the costs for different data bundles

3) I have chartered a sailing boat in Lefkas and will be visiting various islands in the Ionian and was wondering about reception?

Any advise or assistance will be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Eugene

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

Did you manage to get it sorted?

10. Re: SIM cards and micro-SIM cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 03:16