We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delphi - Group tour or self-guided?

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Delphi - Group tour or self-guided?

I am traveling alone internationally for the first time, and as part of an extended trip to Greece to participate in a Greek archaeological field school, I am hoping to do some sightseeing.

I am spending 3 days in Athens before the school, then 3 days in Santorini after the school. I am taking a ferry from Santorini that arrives in Athens on August 7th around 7pm. I fly back to the states on the afternoon of August 10th, so I still have August 8th and August 9th open.

Because of my interest in archaeology and mythology, I would like to see Delphi while on my trip. I am wondering, would I be better traveling to Delphi via bus (I don't drive) and seeing the place on my own? Or taking a group tour?

I think if I were to see Delphi on my own, I would arrive on the afternoon of the 8th, see the museum, spend the night in Delphi, and then get to the site early on the morning of the 9th to get in before the tour groups, then head back to Athens that afternoon/evening.

I've seen mixed reviews of the Chat/Go tours, but the price is within my budget, and the idea of a guide at the site and transportation being provided by the tour group is appealing. If I do a group tour, is one better than the others? Would the single day trip be a good option? Or a two day tour? If I were to do a two day tour, would one of the ones that includes Meteora be worthwhile, or are those tours too rushed? Are there any other tour groups besides the major Chat/Go tours that are worth looking into?

I am open to any and all suggestions, as this is my first time traveling alone internationally, and I am trying to find a way to get the most out of the time that I have.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
4-Day Classical Greece Tour...
400 Reviews
from US$630.10*
Special Offer
Delphi Day Trip from Athens
1,007 Reviews
from US$86.88*
US$103.40
2-Day Trip to Delphi and Meteora from...
462 Reviews
from US$217.60*
1 reply
Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delphi - Group tour or self-guided?

Well, if budget allows, I would go on bus and possibly hire a licensed guide for a private tour, especially if you are after a more indepth look than your averrage visitor.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 02:58
Reply to: Delphi - Group tour or self-guided?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted