We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cat free restaurants in Agios Nikolaos & Rethymno

Lancashire
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Cat free restaurants in Agios Nikolaos & Rethymno

Hi

Sadly i know that there are lots of feral cats on Crete. I really do not like them around me when i am enjoying a meal. I know where to avoid them in Stalis but we are having a change this year so would love some advice please. I don't mean to offend cat lovers but i can't enjoy a meal with them running around! Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Taverna Bar Vasilis
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
Palio Kantouni
$, Mediterranean, Greek
6 replies to this topic
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cat free restaurants in Agios Nikolaos & Rethymno

Hi there

I will leave others to update you on Rethymnon as we have only stayed three times, so couldn’t be 100% with the “ no cats” policy :-)

I know Agios very well, and although we don’t tend to really have a problem with feral cats in the town, mainly due to the wonderful work of the VOCAL cat charity who have a neutering programme as well as a feeding programme across the town, there are still Some colonies around the different areas of Agios.

Any way here are my 100%recommendation on tavernas where over the last 15 years I have never seen a cat in the taverna or in the surrounding area either.

Patriko just opposite Amoundi beach so good views, just outside of town on the road that leads to Elounda so a 5 min walk from the bridge and lake

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev…

Also Piato the taverna next door

I would avoid the immediate area around the lake as there is I know as small cat population......but just in case you want to stop off for a drink, with those lake views try Chez George’s high up above the lake with probably one of the best views in Agios, but sit inside on the balcony,

Not much of a choice but I couldn’t guarantee anywhere else 100 % and not sure that you would be happy “ probably” :-)

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Patriko
Patriko
614 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Lancashire
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cat free restaurants in Agios Nikolaos & Rethymno

Thanks so much MG, your reply is very much appreciated. I fancied trying both of those restaurants and also Chez George's so i am very happy. Do you have a recommendation for a restaurant in Plaka after visiting Spinalonga please?

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cat free restaurants in Agios Nikolaos & Rethymno

You are welcome, with regards Plaka you may have a bit more of a problem avoiding cats, as all the tavernas are close together...it's such a small place, and as a cat lover I know I have seen cats in Plaka, in fact I have photos of them when we were eating one evening...the cats tend to go between the different tavernas...however our favourite restaurant in Plaka is Paliria, if you know when you want to eat I would book a table, and do go early so you see the sun going down over Spinalonga.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cat free restaurants in Agios Nikolaos & Rethymno

That is exactly what i thought the situation would be! It tends to be the same in most villages. Thanks for the heads up though.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cat free restaurants in Agios Nikolaos & Rethymno

Your welcome and if I can help with any other recommendations for Agios or local area then do just ask ...happy to help if I can :-)

Lancashire
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cat free restaurants in Agios Nikolaos & Rethymno

Thank you i will definitely have some more questions so thanks for the offer.

Reply to: Cat free restaurants in Agios Nikolaos & Rethymno
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted