We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

D H
3 posts
Save Topic
HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

Please help :) I am seeking advice on where to stay on a short trip (July 29-August 2) to the island in order to accomplish the following:

-visit nice beach,

-walkable zone/ people watching and local restaurants (but not too many steep stairs as my parents have limited mobility)

- museum (s) something with air conditioning??

all within walking distance or a short taxi drive away

Is this possible or do I need to rent a car?

We are flying into Heraklion airport. and my family consists of myself (37) my nephew (9) my parents (68 and 70 years old with limited mobility) for the kid I want to experience beaches and museums, for the parents nice authentic food, dining al fresco and people watching some local shopping (not too much walking)

We will take a boat to Santorini after 3 nights so an area that we can jump on a ferry would be great.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you xx

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Soulmade
Gift & Speciality Shops
Pure Creta
Gift & Speciality Shops
Rodon Jewellery Workshop
Gift & Speciality Shops
21 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
20,203 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

As you are flying into Heraklion, and leaving on a ferry for Santorini from Heraklion, and as you have only three days, I would suggest you stay in Heraklion! You would need to be comfortable with the thought of taking a bus or a taxi to a nearby beach (there are several within a few kilometers) but otherwise the city has everything on your list of wishes:

- The Archaeological Museum, one of the world's great museums, a treasure house of Minoan and Greek artefacts

- The Historical Museum of Crete

- The Natural History Museum

- Seaside tavernas with excellent seafood, and many more in various locations throughout the city

- Lively street markets, notably along the length of 1866 Street

- A compact centre - easy to stroll around and take in the impressive Venetian structures: the city walls, the fortress, the churches, public buildings, and fountains

,,,and Knossos, Crete's most important ancient site, a short bus or taxi ride away.

Heraklion is an interesting city with a lively, friendly atmosphere, but if you don't want to stay in the city, an alternative would be to base yourself in one of the beach resorts: Anissaras or Analipsi, and travel into the city for the museums, etc.

https:/…anissaras-beaches

explorecrete.com/crete-east/analipsis.html

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Heraklion Archaeological Museum
Heraklion Archaeological...
5,847 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Anissaras
Anissaras
Crete, Greece
Analipsi
Analipsi
Crete, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

Hi there

Another possible option and especially If you wanted to stay somewhere smaller and not in a city, then I think Elounda would make a good alternative, the only down side is it’s just under an hours taxi transfer from Heraklion airport, but the centre of Elounda is flat and staying somewhere like the Olive Grove Apartments means your parents will be just a few steps away from the square, harbour, shops and tavernas too, Elounda is such a pretty resort, have a look at this link to get an idea of what to expect, and of course do your own You Tube searches too to get more of a feel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngHnmNX_k3Q

You could then travel earlier to Heraklion to visit the archeological museum before travelling to Santorini ? Of course it depends on how many of the museums in Heraklion you are interested in visiting ?

http://olivegrove.com.gr

Mentioned in this post
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
D H
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

Thanks for you help with this!

What is the vibe in Elounda- sounds very relaxed- maybe too relaxed for my parents who are dying to drink al-fresco and people watch.

We plan on taking a ferry to Santorni after our stay- where is the port for these ferries? Is it just Heraklion?

Since I do not want to rent a car, I keep seeing people suggesting Agios Nikolaos, since its not so far cab ride away from the airport and has a city vibe and near beach- would you agree?

We don't want a place too crowded or deserted- but close to a nice beach and cute authentic tavernas and local shopping for the parents.

Also- which one is best beach near Agios Nikolaos ?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated- thank you!!

xx

Mentioned in this post
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Agios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos
Crete, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

Hello again

From what you have said I think Elounda would be perfect for people watching and alfresco dining too, but to answer your questions about Agios, it's a 14 euros taxi ride or a 1.80 euros bus ride from Elounda.....Agios is a 45 min drive from Heraklion airport with four main town beaches all sandy but our favorite is Almyros beach, which lies to the east of the town, so the furthest away from Elounda.

Agios does have lots of authentic tavernas to cater for the year round population, and a larger selection of tavernas that only stay open during the tourist season .....it depends what you want from your holiday, if you prefer that resort/village feel then maybe Elounda, and if you like more of a small Greek town feel then you may prefer Agios?

I really do suggest you do lots of searches on You Tube and your own research too that way you can make sure you choose what's right for your family.

If you do fancy Agios then I am happy to give you the locations of hotels that are on the flat, and a flat walk into town too, any questions do just ask

Mentioned in this post
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Almyros Beach
Almyros Beach
215 Reviews
Crete, Greece
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
26,194 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

Agios Nikolaos is built on a hill so is quite steep in parts for someone with limited mobility but have a look at Rethmynon which is a lovely town with a nice beach and fantastic old town area. Rethymnon is only a little further away than Ag Nik from the Heraklion but in the other direction.

Edited: 14 June 2018, 06:20
Mentioned in this post
Agios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

Goanjock.....Actually quite a large section of Agios isn't built on a hill, my sister who was disabled stayed for many years in Agios with her severe mobility issues.......it's a case of knowing where to stay, hence my suggestion of helping the OP if they do decide to stay in Agios :-)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

Just to add that the Agios Nikolaos beach of Almyros also has a " sea" chair to allow people with limited mobility to have easy access to swimming in the sea too ..have a look at this photo

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SavedPhotos-g8…

Mentioned in this post
Almyros Beach
Almyros Beach
215 Reviews
Crete, Greece
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,194 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

A large section of Agios town is built on a hill which is why I would suggest looking at Rethymon :-)

Chania Prefecture...
Destination Expert
for Almyrida, Crete
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

In Agios Nikolaos there is an area along the water & around the lake which is totally flat & has cafes perfect for people-watching. A few streets around there are steep, but not all.

As MG has said, please do choose your hotel with care if you want to walk, as some are flat, some are on hills. MG will give you good info on those. & there are some lovely beaches nearby.

Elounda is a super little place too, I think you will enjoy either, but Agios Nikoloas would fit your 'not too relaxed' & more shopping, desires.

Mentioned in this post
Agios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos
Crete, Greece
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,194 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors

In Ag Nik the area around the lake is flat but much of the rest of the town as I said is built on a hill. The lake is also very pretty but also very busy and touristy.

Edited: 14 June 2018, 15:23
Reply to: HELP:Where to stay for Beaches, fun for 9 yr old and seniors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted