We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire

Hi I’m off to Crete this month can anyone recommend a car hire company and also do they take a deposit beforehand or when you arrive. Kind regards

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
7 replies to this topic
Connecticut
Level Contributor
857 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire

I'm tagging in here, just so I can get current scoop. I reserved with Art's rentals. I found good reviews online but not any mention good or bad on T.A. Anybody got any insight?

Thanks

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
25,527 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire

We use Dimitris at Autorentals and for a recent thread have a look at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189…

You can pay a deposit or prepay before you arrive but it is offset against payment when you arrive (we just pay cash on arrival) so isn't a held deposit which is what I think you are referring to. Other companies who also regularly get good feedback on the forum include Anna Cars and Athens car both of whom have the same options for payment and deposit policy as far as I am aware (i.e. no held deposit).

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire

We have been happy with this local company, and we paid cash/euros on arrival for the full amount

http://www.alianthos-group.com/

Do always check t&cs for what is included in the price.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire

Many local companies take cash on arrival, no need for credit card deposit as they have 100% insurance with no excess. This is what you should be looking for. In addition to Autorentals, Anna cars and Athens cars Crete are often recommended. I use ANE when in Chania:

http://www.carhirecrete.net/

and would definitely recommend them.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
42 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire

Hi, I am arriving at Heraklion at 12 AM the 22nd of June. Is it easy to drive to Chaina? Could you tell me please how long will it take by car or by bus? Are there taxis or transfers? Any website to see prices? Thanks in advance. Regards

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,845 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire

Do you mean you are arriving at 12 noon, or 12 midnight??

If it's 12 noon, you can take the public bus. The trip takes just under three hours, and the one-way fare is €15.10. Here is the timetable:

https:/…

If you are arriving at 12 midnight, the buses will have stopped running and a taxi would cost around €160. It would of course be much cheaper to stay in a hotel that night and travel by bus the next day. I wouldn't suggest driving at that hour: the road is dual carriage and safe, but you'd have to find your accommodation which might be problematic in the dark.

If you are arriving during the day, and decide to rent a car and drive, the trip will take between 2 and 2.5 hours. Reliable local firms for you to check out are Annacars, Autorentals, and Athenscars.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 19:52
Otley, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire

Booked online with Auto Club to collect car from Chania airport.1st May.

They restored my faith in car hire companies.

No credit cards or deposit, no additional sales pitch. Good car at very good price (€176 for 2 weeks)

Very friendly and efficient to deal with both on collection and return.

Highly recommend and will use again myself.

Mentioned in this post
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Reply to: Car hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted