We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalafatis Beach vs Elia Beach

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Kalafatis Beach vs Elia Beach

We will have 6 hours in Mykonos around the 10th of July and want to visit a beach. Our cruise excursion options provide for either Kalafatis or Elia Beach. I have tried looking at pictures, but always leery of trusting them too much. We would like a sandy beach with safe swimming - don't need to have beach activities to occupy us. We are in our 60's and just want to relax, soak up the sun and marvel at being in Greece. Which one would you recommend?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalafatis Beach vs Elia Beach

Tough call, because both are in beautiful locations and offer big sandy beaches.

Last week, I went to both beaches with a group of people at the hotel where I was staying; this group included a couple in their 60s. Though everyone thought both beaches looked great, the couple preferred Kalafatis and in fact returned there a couple of days later.

Kalafatis is popular with windsurfers and divers, and also attracts families with children. Elia is popular with a wide mix of people, but is also the preferred Mykonos beach destination for gay travellers.

I personally would probably pick Kalafatis ... if you get tired of sun and sand, you could walk to the old fishing village past the far end of the beach and enjoy a wonderful seafood meal at Markos taverna.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalafatis Beach vs Elia Beach

Thank you for the information. I must admit that Kalafatis was my initial choice, but I started second-guessing myself. I also like the idea of visiting the taverna.....I can't wait to visit!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalafatis Beach vs Elia Beach

Marlie10: Just wanted to let you know that I have created online photo albums in which you can view pics I took two weeks ago at both Elia and Kalafatis.

The Kalafatis photos are at this link: http://tinyurl.com/Kalafatis2012

The Elia pics are at this link: http://tinyurl.com/Elia2012

At the date of my visit to Elia, rental lounge chairs and umbrellas had been installed on only half of the beach. To get an idea of how it compares when all the rental sunbeds are installed, you can view Elia beach pics I took several years ago starting at page 3 of the album at this link: www.tinyurl.com/MykonosBeachPix

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalafatis Beach vs Elia Beach

Thanks donnyb! The pics really help. You know, I think I will stay with my original plan and head to Kalafatis. Really appreciate your sharing the information with me.

Deerfield...
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalafatis Beach vs Elia Beach

It depends what you want. I have been to both in the last couple of days. I love windsurfering and have taught it for years. If you are into that definately go Kalafatis. It is a good beach but not the islands best for beaching but best for windsurfing. Watch the winds beacause if it is honking Kalafatis would be miserable, it is quite exposed. Elia is more refined, beautiful and more protected. A higher level of clientel populated Elia. The beach restauant is awesome there where at Kalafatis is your typical taverna. Yo

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalafatis Beach vs Elia Beach

A little followup to my original posting. We have now returned from our trip and must say that the Elia Beach was fabulous! We were able to rent chairs/umbrella and so enjoyed the setting. The weather was fabulous and we did try out the restaurant. You were right jlp254, the food was very very good. Thanks for your help.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalafatis Beach vs Elia Beach

I am going on a cruise in July which offers both beaches so I'm glad you asked this question. So pre-cruise you stated you were going to go to Kalafatis Beach, but you ended up going to Elia instead? What made you change your mind and go to Elia instead of Kalafatis?

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalafatis Beach vs Elia Beach

I went to Kalafatis Beach in Mykonos today. We were hungry and went into the Thalassa Tavern for a nice lunch. However the female in charge upset us and we left without eating. She did not know that my friend spoke Greek. She told the staff that we just got off the bus and told the staff not to let us sitting down because she thought we only wanted a drink and would not eat. She was very rude. We got up and told her we planned to eat but we were leaving because of her rudeness. She did not apologise and her staff pretended that he did not know why we felt offended.

The beach has slippery rocks in the sea. You need to walk carefully to go pass the rocks before having a good swim.

9. Re: Kalafatis Beach vs Elia Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 13:20