We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

York, England...
Level Contributor
304 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/2…

I guess this article doesn't tell those who know the island anything they didn't already know and is in common perhaps with other destinations, but I was not aware of the full extent when we booked our holiday. We'd like to consider ways to minimise our impact and be most supportive to locals while we are there and would welcome suggestions. We are self catering so I am guessing choosing small local shops rather than big supermarkets? Buying local crafts rather than items from international chains if shopping? (It mentions Jimmy Choos in the article!) Being careful with water use e.g. not spending hours in a hot shower(Not that we do this much anyway!) Also, we are intending to leave kids clothes that won't fit them by next summer, in good condition but nearly outgrown. Is there such a thing as a charity shop or some other way of getting them to local people who would appreciate them? Perhaps donating to a church?

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

This has been building up for years now.

They are supposed to be limiting the number of cruise ships allowed to dock in any one day from next year I believe, but I doubt this will have much effect.

You only have to read some of the horror story posts about the airport to realise that the popularity of the island may well be its own downfall and the elusive magic that the travel industry peddles about the place may well have a very limited shelf life.

I've been vistiibg Santorini since 1999, always staying in Perissa with just the occasional days to Fira and Oia and I've seen massive changes over the years with more and more building, more and bigger hotels, increasingly higher prices across the board.

Yes, the island has reached saturation point but as long as the tourist industry keeps telling people that it's THE place to visit and its THE place to have your beautiful, unique and utterly romantic wedding (even though most weddings are done in a conveyor belt way these days), people will keep in coming, the money will continue flowing and the divide between the haves and the have-nots will keep on growing.

York, England...
Level Contributor
304 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

Yes, I must say, we booked it because it was on that list of "must visit" destinations with the dreamy sunset pictures... it sells itself very well, obviously being such a beautiful island.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

When my wife and I booked a few days stay on Santorini I had an image in my mind from three decades ago when I first visited the island. Subsequently, I learned more about current conditions and began altering our plans for what to see and do during our trip. Sadly, the rise of mass tourism has wrought similar changes to almost everywhere (San Francisco, Dubrovnik, the Great Wall), and, of necessity, my travel preparations have become less about reading about history and culture and more about finding suitable places to sleep and learning how to avoid crowds.

That said, the easy, relaxed island that I visited long ago may no longer exist in places like Fira and Oia, but the beauty of the place remains, and the ruins at Akrotiri probably offer the visitor at least a good an experience as before.

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

You may also want to read this about the uncontrolled and irresponsible development taking place on the island:

ekathimerini.com/221229/article/ekathimerini…

There are many other lovely Greek Islands and a lot of the mainland that don't get the over-the-top tourism of Santorini that can offer you just a better Greek Experience. I understand the beauty and spectacular scenery drawing people but at what cost?

There are many beautiful islands with spectacular Choras, views, beaches, traditional villages, archeological/historic sites and much more. Places on the mainland are often overlooked but you'll find just as much beauty there as on an island but far less crowds.

All you have to do is your research and don't let glossy travel magazines, travel websites and travel agents think there are no other areas of Greece to go to.

Edited: 31 August 2017, 04:02
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,281 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

I'd be interested in a similar article about Mykonos, which from what I hear, is now completely out of range in many places for visitors without limitless bank balances! But, like this menu from Nammos beach bar in Mykonos, they wouldn't stock these items if they didn't sell them!

anatropionline.gr/%CE%BF-%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BC%…

Almost certainly part of this is fuelled by the hype surrounding the constant promotion, particularly in the US, of these two islands as though they are the only places to go.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

To read the posts in this forum, you'd think that Santorini and Mykonos WERE the Greek Islands. The hype for these 2 islands, particularly in the US must be enormous. It's a rare American who hadn't been told by their travel agent that they have to visit one (preferably both) of these islands.

Don't get me wrong, I love Santorini and been there every year since 1999 and going back in 3 weeks time, but sometimes the crowds are overwhelming - so much so that I've started avoiding places such as Fira and Oia, it's just too much hassle nowadays.

Edited: 31 August 2017, 21:16
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

>>To read the posts in this forum, you'd think that Santorini and Mykonos WERE the Greek Islands.<<

I completely agree with @bigsnitch.

There are numerous places in Greece which are equal for beauty but at a much lower price and without mass tourism.

To answer to a question from the OP: If you are intending to leave children's clothes behind, maybe the people you rent the studio from have little children or family that can use them?

Papillion, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

crazyh,

Wow, what an article. Makes me think I shouldn't go to Santorini as we are just becoming "part of the problem". Personally, I can take or leave it but my wife has wanted to go for years. We try to do our part, ie: minimize water usage, leave behind clothes or un-needed items someone else can use, etc. but with that many people visiting, the footprints are still going to be there. We are also visiting Naxos, which from the sounds of it, is more my speed. Not as touristy.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,774 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

i would be very careful trying to leave used clothes behind to a local..it can be considered very offensive..try searching for a church or other local organization that does this,if there is one..otherwise it is like saying to your host you look pooor to me..there are cultural differences,be careful..you don;t want to appear as the arrogant ignorant american

Edited: 31 August 2017, 22:31
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Article about tourism pressure - Guardian

Hardly a surprise to readers of TA. I'll be in Messinias in October . !00 metres between mats on the beach; 50 metres in June. Sometimes there's a cruise ship when I visit Nafplio.