We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October Weather

Camberley, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
October Weather

I have just booked a holiday staying in Kalithea/Faliraki for October half term, now worrying that the weather isn’t going to be any good, has anyone experienced Rhodes at this time of year? Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Faliraki
Faliraki
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
11 replies to this topic
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October Weather

It is obviously getting more changeable and showers are possible, and days are a lot shorter. But there will be hot sunny days with temperatures in the mid-20s and cooler nights.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
7,991 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October Weather

My parents used to go to Rhodes in mid Oct but over the years the weather got less reliable. They started to make the trip earlier and earlier to combat the changing weather and they now go early September instead. I know that’s not what you want to hear but at least you can be prepared from a packing perspective.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
430 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: October Weather

Went once half term in October and the best part was the water park without any queues and not burning your feet on the hot tarmac! Beaches I visited the sun beds had been removed.

Lindos was almost dead with just a couple of restaurants open, and every day another closed and the majority of shops closed for winter.

That was 10 years ago and it may have changed.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October Weather

Total respect for the honest reply Karl_Davidson,we have never been that late in the season so interesting to hear that.

scotland
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October Weather

When is your half term? I have booked a week from 5-12th October and am hoping for a majority of sunny days and to be able to swim in the sea.

Thanks.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October Weather

5-12 October should be fine and the sea is at its warmest in October and early November. I'm afraid there's a tendency to assume all schools in the UK have half-term at the same time. They certainly don't and it would be more sensible if posters gave the actual dates as you have done.

I think the largest numbers of schools take the last full week in October, but things are very different in different parts of the UK, and sometimes within the same town.

scotland
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October Weather

Thank you Andy for your quick and reassuring response. I have changed our usual family holiday to Turkey this year as really want something different, would not be popular if the weather was against us.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October Weather

It is fundamentally the same weather as on the Turkish coast - not surprising as you can see Turkey from Rhodes. Local variations of course, there are variations even within Rhodes where resorts on the east side are sunnier and warmer than those on the west side. Most weather forecasts, whatever they claim, are actually those for Rhodes Airport, which is on the west coast.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: October Weather

Lindos was almost dead with just a couple of restaurants open? Certainly not the case now, if it was 10 years ago. The odd place will close but the majority of bars and restaurants stay open until the last tourist flight leaves. It's quieter but far from dead. Some resorts do close earlier so choose wisely but Lindos and Rhodes Town are both safe bets. The weather, as others have said is less predictable and if unlucky, you could see some rain but usually, plenty of warm beach days. Nights can feel a bit chilly, especially in Rhodes Town, being on the Northern tip.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
430 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: October Weather

Marcus C. It was like that 10 years ago in Lindos. I recall one waiter in a restaurant telling me that they would close for winter at the end of the week. The next evening when we went back they too had closed for the season.

A great advantage at that time of year is that the roads are very quiet and so getting around by car is very easy and quick.

The rhe weather, I have photos of my children climbing rocks on the beach during the daytime whilst wearing fleeces.

Having said that... about 6 years ago when we were about to leave at the end of August the wind was very sting on the east coast it blew pool balls across a pool table) and the next day the usually calm sea had destroyed a jetty and the sun beds had been pulled away from the encroaching sea and the owner of apartment said “winter has come early this year”.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Reply to: October Weather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted