We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stray cats and dogs

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Stray cats and dogs

Hi everybody! I am planning to go to Kefalonia and Ithaka this summer. However, I am concerned regarding the presence of street dogs and cats. I am an animal lover and I feel heartbroken to imagine a daily encounter with a poor animal in bad conditions, or laying in the middle of the street where it can be hit by a car. I would like to know how is the current condition of street animals on the island and what are the areas where the situation is usually worse. If the situation is as bad as I have seen in some posts, I believe I will cancel my trip.

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stray cats and dogs

Hi, majority of the dogs that laze in the shade of trees, houses, etc aren't strays they just flop where they feel coolest, somebody posted about 2 strays in Lassi last year, they were in fact a friend Maki's dogs sat under a pine tree. There are a few stray cats about but the local friends group tend to those, it appears worse than it is as nearly ever taverna, shop, accomodation own cats to keep the vermin down.

Mentioned in this post
Lassi
Lassi
Cephalonia, Greece
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,016 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stray cats and dogs

Hi Michael,

I agree with thisisthe1. Most folks do not drive fast and the animals get up at the last minute and move.

Also the Mediterranean cats are thinner and more "leggy" than the ones we are used to and so look starved all the time.

This is not to say there is no problem but there are a couple of charities that look after strays.

The ARK charity is on the edge of Argostoli and they are always pleased to see visitors especially if they turn up with some dog food or money for them to buy some.

http://animalrescuekefalonia.com/

http://www.kefalonia-animal-trust.org/

enjoy your holiday.

Bob

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stray cats and dogs

Just back 8/6 after 2 weeks, no stray dogs looking for food, just the odd 1 laid out in the shade. As to stray cats just the same as previous years, some tourists feeding them all again as previous years. Do not let this put you off visiting this beautiful island.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stray cats and dogs

Join the KAT’s Facebook page (Kefalonia Animal Trust) who have neutered as many stray cats as they can and will come out to any abandoned kittens you feel are at risk. They fund raise on the island all year round. Most of the hotels are working with them to help control the cat situation.

If you want to feed any, catfood is very expensive out there.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stray cats and dogs

Edit

They also do same for dogs. I think once you visit you will feel less worried. Donations to both charities are gratefully received. Some of the animals even get adopted by tourists. My cousin did this. Who knows. You might feel same 😉🤗

Reply to: Stray cats and dogs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted