We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Beaches?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Beaches?

Hi!

I have seen many websites describing beaches where turtles lay their eggs but these websites and even tripadvisor forum posts are years old, and I'd rather go on up-to-date information especially when it comes to potentially interfering with nesting animals.

So, I'd love to see one of these beaches, my partner and I are heading over for ten days at the end of June, and we will have a hire car.

Are there any accessible turtle beaches? Are there likely to be any hatching eggs? Would be an amazing sight to see, especially as i'd like to propose to my girlfriend whilst seeing this!

Are there any laws and regulations or is it a common-sense issue when entering these beaches? we won't be intending on disturbing any wildlife.

Any advice welcomed, thank you!

3 replies to this topic
Wales
Level Contributor
319 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Beaches?

Many beaches have turtle nests. Mouda near Ratzakli has nightly patrols to identify and mark nest sites. Beach visitors are encouraged to respect the nests. Hatchlings won't be emerging until later in the summer.

UK
Level Contributor
975 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Beaches?

If you go to where the turtles are in Argostoli every morning at around 9.00am you should see groups of volunteers who look after and monitor the turtles https://wildlifesense.com/en/ - or you could contact them through their website.

I personally would ask them if you could join them one evening.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
41 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Beaches?

A few years ago we were lucky enough to come across some people who worked for the turtle conservations (not in Greece I would admit). They were rescuing the eggs from the beach and asked us we would mind if they used the light from our camcorder, which we did and was able to film them doing this. It was fascinating to watch. We then went further up the beach and was able to film a turtle going back into the sea. If you get to chance to see this happen it is well worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Reply to: Turtle Beaches?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted