We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

Hi,

We are going to be hiring a car and ferrying across the islands lefkada, kefalonia and Zakinthos (in that order). I'm having trouble finding ferry times and details. Can anyone recommend the best way to get from island to island as I'm a bit worried travelling with a toddler this time round and want to be more organised!!

14 replies to this topic
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,886 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

1) Lefkada(Nidri) > Kefalonia(Fiskardo)

2) Kefalonia(Pessada) > Zakinthos(Ag. Nikolaos)

3) Kefalonia(Poros) > Kylini(mainland) > Zakinthos(town). This works all year.

1) and 2) are daytripper timings, one morning, one late afternoon.

Ask in the respective tickets agencies in ports about exact times.

3) Is two ferries about 5 per day for the first one, and every 2 hours or so for second one.

For information you can go here https://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp

https://www.gtp.gr/RoutesResults.asp…

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,031 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

Hi and welcome,

Just two points to add. Where do you go after Zakynthos? I doubt you will find a car rental company that will let you pick up a car in Lefkada and leave it in Zakynthos. It will be hard enough to find a company that will let you do the route even if you are returning the car to Lefkada.

Secondly, in July and August there are three ferries per day between Lefkada and Kefalonia.

Bob

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

Hi Bob!

We are getting the car from Athens and doing a big road trip and returning it back to Athens. I Was just confused with the ferry situation as I thought we could go from nidri but then I was reading about passenger only ones going to kefalonia from there!

Edited: 11 June 2018, 17:08
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

Awesome info! Thanks so much 👍😀 I just found a ferry from kefolonia to presada? That must be a port further away in Zakinthos? This might be easier or quicker then going back to the mainland?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,031 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

You can go from Nidri by car - no problem.

Some older websites have the car ferry going from Vassilikes but the port there is closed at the moment for renovation and has been for a couple of years.

There is a new passenger only ferry going from Lefkada to Sami on Kefalonia.

Pessada is a small port on Kefalonia and the ferry goes to Agios Nikolas on Zakynthos twice a day.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 17:15
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

Thanks Bob, I think I've done so much research I'm starting to get confused! Which site should I go on or should I just go to the port on the day and buy the tickets? It'll be peak July though 😱

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,031 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

For the Lefkada to Fiscardo ferry booking details here. The ferry is not usually full but two year ago when I turned up at Nidri 30 minutes before sailing, the boat was full. This was then end of June a week before they switched to 3 sailings per day. Had to wait in Nidri all day.

https://westferry.gr/

For the Pessada ferry I don't think you can book over the internet. However if you pop into one of the agencies a day or so before, they should be able to help.

http://www.ionionpelagos.com/en/content/112

Bob

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,886 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

1) The one going from Nidri > Fiscardo is a small landing craft ferry, not unknown for this not to run in really rough weather though that is unlikely. Not much capacity for vehicles.

Forget the Azimut ferry it is a foot passenger only ferry and only 3 times a week anyway.

As I said go in the local ticket/travel agencies on the islands at the respective ports to purchase tickets. In Argostoli you can also go in the ticket agencies there, these are close to where the ferry across to Lixouri goes. They may just tell you to go to the port and buy tickets.

Route 3) uses larger mainland car ferries, whilst longer is not affected by weather so much, hence me mentioning it.

All we can do is perhaps direct you to the right port in advance, it is not about Web sites.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

Thank you so much the both of you. We will go to the ports the day or so before and buy the tickets! I know it seems super organised or anxious it's just travelling with a baby this year might prove a bit more difficult!! At least knowing the ports and which ones are only foot passengers helps a lot 👍😀

I'm starting to really get excited now!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
81 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos

Bob, Could you expand please on the new passenger ferry from Sami to Nidri? What is the company running it? With the demise of Monarch, I am looking at other ways of getting to Meganisi other than flying to Preveza. The Fiscardo ferry isn't practical.

Reply to: Ferries lefkada - kefalonia - Zakynthos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lefkada
Recent Conversations