We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halkidiki for a quiet holiday

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
19 reviews
10 helpful votes
Halkidiki for a quiet holiday
Save

Hi, Looking to travel around for a three week trip in June. We will use a mix of adult only good hotels and some low key quiet simple small residences. We are looking for simplicity and charm with good beds. Will we find this after return of fifty years or is it a party/ family destination now even in June?

We looked at revisiting the Mani but flight prices were much higher. Thanks for your comments in advance. Ps by a pair of 72/74 yr olds

7 replies to this topic
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Halkidiki for a quiet holiday
Save

No as long as you leave out Kassandra. Sithonia, the mountainous part of Halkidiki, Ammouliani island and the east coast (the area outside Mount Athos) is still quite and calm. If tou haven’t visited these areas, I strongly suggest that you do consider them

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
19 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Halkidiki for a quiet holiday
Save

Just what I need to know many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,267 posts
43 reviews
49 helpful votes
3. Re: Halkidiki for a quiet holiday
Save

I am 74 and love all Greece sometimes I want chilled out other times I like a buzzing resort.I have stayed on Kassandra and enjoyed it very much. Drove to Sithonia which was lovely . Some really nice villages to stay. If Gianni sees this he will reply as he is local. You need several peoples views on this area of Greece.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
45 reviews
73 helpful votes
4. Re: Halkidiki for a quiet holiday
Save

I think if you are travelling in June (early or late?) and travelling around, then you could cover both Kassandra & Sithonia peninsulas.

I am a big fan of Pefkohori, it has changed a lot over the years (I repped there 30 years ago!) but is still beautiful, and not too busy in early/mid June, Sithonia is beautiful and quieter than Kassandra, and as mentioned about, if Yianni comes online he can recommend places for you to visit on Sithonia.

There are some lovely villages on the Kassandra peninsula as well, have a look at Pefkohori, Hanioti & Afytos.

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
19 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Halkidiki for a quiet holiday
Save

Many thanks. There are a lot of youtube videos on these places so i have now looked at these following your suggestions

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
141 reviews
120 helpful votes
6. Re: Halkidiki for a quiet holiday
Save

Hello there, Gianni is here as mentioned above! lol!

Both at Sithonia and the "pre" Mt. Athos area you will find beautiful and peacefull destinations surrounded by magnificent green scenery and amazing beaches.

Regarding Sithonia, you should definitely give a look at Parthenonas, which is a traditional settlement, situated on the hill overlooking the Aegean sea, and is surrounded by olive trees and pine tree forests. It is just 5km from the sea and the busy town of Neos Marmaras, which gives you the alternative of a quiet place on the one hand, but very close to stores, restaurants , cafes as well. The architecture of the village is unique as it is strictly old Macedonian. There are two restaurants, two coffee bars and a handfull of guest houses (B & B's).

If you like being closer to the sea, you could check Porto Koufo, situated on the water and surrounded by a beautiful natural harbour and a beautiful beach. A few nice restaurants on the promenade and a few nice B& B's as well. There is also a larger hotel at the one side (south ) of Porto Koufo, whose name I can't recall now.

Apart from these two places , Parthenonas and Porto Koufo, you could also give a look at Sykia, a larger village, not very touristic though, also surrounded by beautiful beaches in the area.

Now, if you look at the Mt .Athos area, around Ierissos which is a larger town, you will find many nice places to stay close to the sea. I very much like the area around Kakoudia beach and there are definitely some nice small hotels in the area as well there. There is also Nea Roda, a smaller and quieter place, than Ierissos and the near by Ouranoupolis, which has a few large hotels and nice restaurants, but overall it is a pretty small village. Don't forget to chech also the island of Ammouliani, which is exactly across Ouranoupolis. A small place, with beautiful beaches, and food , and frequent ferry rides from and to its port, towards Trypiti.

I know this might be a lot of information, but we needed to cover a large area. Since you are staying for three weeks, I would suggest that you split this for half of your stay at Sithonia , so that you can explore the whole area, and half of your stay at the side of Mt. Athos, so that you can explore both that area and mainland Halkidiki.

I would be glad to help you out with your itinerary, things to do and see, beaches, monuments, hotels, even restaurants at some of the areas, that I have personally visited, if you need any further help.

Best Regards,

Giannis.

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
19 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Halkidiki for a quiet holiday
Save

Brilliant help Giannis. Many thanks

Reply to: Halkidiki for a quiet holiday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Halkidiki Region
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.