We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gerakini?

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
Gerakini?
Save

Hi we are planning a trip to halkidiki next July. I have flights booked and have found nice looking and reasonably priced accommodation in gerakini. We are a family of 4 with an 11 and a 14 year old. We like peaceful relaxing holidays in a beautiful area. The kids love the pool, we all love a pretty beach, we all love paddleboarding and will take our own. In the evenings we enjoy eating out in tavernas, ideally on the waterfront watching a sunset. We won’t be hiring a car but would like the option of excursions. Does gerakini sound like it would suit us? I was a bit worried about some people saying the beach isn’t very pretty and there aren’t many tavenas

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Vrsac, Serbia
Level Contributor
595 posts
29 reviews
28 helpful votes
1. Re: Gerakini?
Save

No. IMHO, it may be good as a base if you rent a car, but ottherwise - avoid it. There are not many dull places on Sithonia, but Gerakini is certainly one of them. Go further South and you will see the real beauty.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Gerakini?
Save

Thank you that’s really helpful 👍🏻

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
141 reviews
120 helpful votes
3. Re: Gerakini?
Save

Gerakini is not that bad, but there are definitely more beautiful places as suggested above. Not renting a car for a long holiday could be a bit difficult, however the places that will offer you the most according to places to eat, have a drink etc, should be Neos Marmaras, Nikiti from the west side and Sarti from the east side of the peninsula. There is so many beautiful places to explore in Sithonia and the wider area, you would be amazed!

Best Regards,

Giannis.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Gerakini?
Save

Thank you Giannis that’s really helpful. I was looking at Nikiti and neo marmaris -which one has the nicest beaches? Ideally with tavernas on. They both look lovely. We aren’t worried about lots of nightlife or big hotels, we’d like traditional Greek and laidback with a few options for tavernas. Also the possibility of day trips by boat/ coach would be great if possible

Thank you

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
141 reviews
120 helpful votes
5. Re: Gerakini?
Save

With the criteria you mention above, I would have to go with Neos Marmaras, mostly because its two beaches are nicer than the main beach of Nikiti, and because there are a lot or tavernas both there, and inside the village of Neos Marmaras. I know for sure that there are a couple of boat trips starting from Neos Marmaras as well, but I am not sure if this is the case about Nikiti as well, I really don't know. In case you eventually stay at Neos Marmaras, don't forget to visit the near by traditional village of Parthenonas for a drink or for a meal, as it is just 5km away, built in a very unique way and also offering great views to the sea!

Regards,

Giannis.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Gerakini?
Save

Amazing helpful thank you 😊 Will look for accommodation at NM. Really looking forward to it

Reply to: Gerakini?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sithonia
More Sithonia Topics
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.