We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
248 posts
10 reviews
Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

Hi All - we're looking for some advice please to help us choose a destination for summer 2018 (probably late July). Will I find what I'm looking for in the kalamata / Peloponnese region (or anywhere else you may suggest!)?..

- The beach is massively important, and the key thing really is gently shelving sea by a sandy beach for our two young kids.

- We then need a village with enough tavernas to be able to eat out in a few different places at night.

- For various reasons, we don't want to do flight + boat, which rules out a lot of the islands.

- I don't want anything too British while abroad. Not interested in Sky Sports or English Breakfasts, so something not too developed would be good.

- We won't be hiring a car, so something within 60-90 mins of the airport in a cab would be good.

We're just back from Parga again - we liked it (although the beaches were very busy, and not gently shelving enough for my fussy kids!). The year before that was Alykes in Zante (great beaches, but no character in the village / town).

Advice welcomed!

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,794 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

Stoupa may fit the bill but is getting too popular now and sunbeds like mushrooms on the Kalgoria beach. We found where we were staying in Tolo would probably suit but it was 2 hours in a coach for us. A taxi would be very expensive. You can see the trip we did with photographs on the TA Tolon forum with pictures of the beach and everything else

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
2. Re: Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

The Southern Peloponnese would be a good choice; BA, Easyjet have scheduled flights into Kalamata , plus the various package companies. If you fancy a package , Sunvil go to some small resorts .

Late July is the start of the high season , the Greeks and Italians are starting their holidays , so it will be hot, busy and possibly noisy , Make sure your accommodation is in a quiet area .

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
248 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

Thanks both - I'd looked at Stoupa and it looks nice (I know it seems similar to Parga based on reading opinions of people who've been to both). I do fear it would fail the beach criteria though,

Re the South Peloponnese - any beaches that stand out?

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,794 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

I don't think Parga and Stoupa compare really

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,987 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

Have a look at Gialova, near Pylos in the southern Peloponnese. A pretty village with a lo-o-ng beautiful sandy beach, a handful of small shops and enough tavernas and cafes to give a good choice. Feels a lot less "British" than Stoupa and certainly doesn't have sunbed-packed beaches as Stoupa does. It's about an hour or a bit less from Kalamata airport. Its a shame not to hire a car to explore but you can take a cab for the short distance into the lovely harbour town of Pylos to explore its massive castle, eat in the excellent fish tavernas, take a boat trip around the sunken wrecks in historic Navarino Bay and drink coffee under the huge plane tree in the square.

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
864 posts
188 reviews
6. Re: Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

Another vote for Gialova. We spent 2 weeks there in July 2016 with our children and grandchildren and everyone loved it. I think it ticks all your boxes. The beach is very gently shelving, sandy, and not at all crowded. It is also somewhat protected from strong winds, as Navarino Bay is quite sheltered. There are a few bars (not rowdy), and a dozen or so tavernas. One of the tavernas organised a Greek music and dancing evening once or twice a week, and some of the Greek customers got up and danced too.

We rented a villa about 10 mins easy walk from the beach. You could also stay at Zoe resort. Gialova is much quieter than Stoupa, where we all spent a couple of weeks in July 2015; there are fewer British tourists - I think most holidaymakers were Greek when we were there. Stoupa was a bit too crowded for us, but would be lovely out of season.

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
248 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

Thanks both. Sounds interesting - will take a good look. Are there taxis and buses available locally?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,661 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

Hi,

Yes, there is a bus service between Stoupa and Kalamata. If you decide on Stoupa there are some interesting villages situated in the foothills of Mt. Taygetus which are well worth visiting.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,987 posts
71 reviews
9. Re: Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

If you look on the Gialova forum here: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g775… you'll find some useful threads including helpful information about shopping, transport etc from a recent visitor.

10. Re: Can you help me find our ideal destination for 2018!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2018, 12:17