We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet away from. Crowds

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Quiet away from. Crowds

Looking for a town or area for late September 2018 ithat wouldl Be quiet away from some of the tourists. Looking to take in some ancient sites and relax a nice view would be good, beach would be great, pool, good restaurants or taverna in the area. We will have s car. Any help appreciated

12 replies to this topic
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi, Kanchanaburi Province
Level Contributor
23,783 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Quiet away from. Crowds

Hi,

Nafplion seems like the place for you, plenty of places to eat at and close to the sea. Moreover, there are ancient sites nearby. And, you can easily drive to other sites in the Peloponnese.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Quiet away from. Crowds

Late September should be quiet everywhere. Nafplio would be good or, if you want to be on the beach, nearby Tolo. Lots of information here: www.visitnafplio.com

Alternatively Koroni is a pretty harbour town with a taverna-lined waterfront and a long sandy beach (though the two are divided by a headland so you need to be ok with many steps up and down). Nearby Pylos is my favourite base in the area as it is a small Greek harbour town with minimal tourism and loads of charm. There is no beach but nearby Gialova has a very long sandy beach and Voidokilia is sometimes listed as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. . Based in this area you can explore the castles at Pylos, Koroni and Methoni, Nestor's Palace with the bathtub mentioned by Homer and the magnificent site at Ancient Messene.

If you can it would be a good idea split your time between the two areas.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
3. Re: Quiet away from. Crowds

Good advice from the two previous posters. While Nafplio is delightful; it can be busy , a weekend destination for Athenians.

I prefer the Southern Peloponnese . quieter at the en d of September , but plenty of accommodation and the tavernas will still be operating .

Splitting your trip between the north and south is a good idea, the motorway makes it easy. Greece:The Peloponnese by Andrew Bostock is a useful guide book.

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: Quiet away from. Crowds

Consider Kardymili just south of Kalamata. Looks like a good place to base oneself to explore the rest of the southern Mani Area filled with historic sites, mountains, villages, hiking and a different Greece than the popular islands.

September will find it quieter than July/August with enough open to keep you happy.

I have it on my to-go-to list, possibly this Oct. 2018.

Also consider response #2, second paragraph, which is also on my list.

Just to add more options for the Peloponnese is Leonidio (also on my list) on the east side of the Mani Peninsula, also recommended by 2bristolians on another thread.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: Quiet away from. Crowds

Crazyh, Leonidio is not in the Mani, it's some distance away in Arcadia. I think Kardamili will probably be too busy for the OP in September.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,977 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Quiet away from. Crowds

Tolo was quite crowded at the weekend in July as Bridgenorthsnaps suggests but guess it would be fine in September. I covered the area exploring different sites

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g100…

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: Quiet away from. Crowds

2bristolians: Sorry, you are correct. But Leonidio may be a good option for the Peloponnese.

Would Kardamili be too busy in early October?

Edited: 26 January 2018, 23:54
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: Quiet away from. Crowds

I haven't been in Kardamili in October so I can't say. I would think it's fairly quiet.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: Quiet away from. Crowds

It is quiet but some bars and tavernas remain open.

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Quiet away from. Crowds

Besides Nafplio and other places in the Peloponnese, there is also Korfos a little village halfway between Corinth and Epidavros.

If you want no crowds, that could be a place for you. There are good restaurants, a few bars and a bit of beach (shingle, not sand). And if you want to visit some sites: It's less than 1 hour driving to the Corinth Canal, Ancient Corinth or the theater of Epidavros. To Nafplio and Mycenae it's just over an hour.

I can recommend this place (with a pool) on the edge of the village to stay: https://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalRe…

Edited: 27 January 2018, 00:57
Reply to: Quiet away from. Crowds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted