We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanapitsa headland walk

2 posts
Save Topic
Kanapitsa headland walk

Hi

Going to kolios in 3 weeks for the 9th time but never done this walk. From bus stop 13 is it easy to follow and in which direction do we go.

38 replies to this topic
Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanapitsa headland walk

I've only done it once in that direction, I prefer starting from bus stop 12. There is very little shade, wear something decent on your feet not flip flops and take some water with you. The views are wonderful.

It's proper name is the Kalamaki headland 😉

Edited: 09 June 2018, 23:28
Mentioned in this post
Kalamaki
Kalamaki
Zakynthos, Greece
uk
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanapitsa headland walk

Spot on as ever Duchess. Easy to take a wrong fork from the bus stop 13 direction. Years ago I found myself fumbling around at Nostos having taken the right hand (?) turn. Better to go from 12 and just follow your nose, or stop for a jar in Johnny's if he's there. And definitely no flip-flops. Or clogs. Or pumps. :-)

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanapitsa headland walk

Hello Townboy, haha definitely no clogs or pumps they have gone into retirement. I like the bus stop 12 route for the same reasons plus I like the views better going clockwise, then a walk back down the hill and the water taxi back to town...perfect.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanapitsa headland walk

Ooh, need to do this walk. Thinking in July too warm though? Oh, well, that’s another reason to book for May next year.....

Durham
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanapitsa headland walk

No, not too hot in July. Whatever the weather when you reach that bench and sit down in silence and look straight out at Tsougria, just to the left you see the entrance to Skkathos harbour and Skopelos at two o'clock from there.

Over to the right you have Evia and the Greek mainland. Awesome.

No sounds, you may see a plane turn right in front of you to start its descent into the airport, and depending on the time of day you can hear and see the day trip boats from the mainland passing by underneath your feet.

After Tsougria there is just mile upon mile of sea.

Words cannot do it justice, go and sit on that bench.

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos
Skopelos
Sporades, Greece
uk
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanapitsa headland walk

TheHappening

It's dooable in July. September in my past

experience has been hotter than then.

The first bench at the top of what MrsW correctly (as always) names as Kalamaki headland is perhaps the most breathtaking view of the Aegean you will ever see. Make sure you do it.

Mentioned in this post
Kalamaki
Kalamaki
Zakynthos, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,613 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanapitsa headland walk

From Kolios beach facing sea go left along the beach, exit behind the beach on a wide track carry on along there in few minutes you come to trees and a tarmac road go right up over a hill with a hotel on the left.

Just after there fork left to a small carpark, keeping houses fields to left carry on the track to the south end of Vromolimnos beach(good and quiet at this end).

Find a narrow track between the trees, after a short distance you get to a wider track go left and follow this until a clump of houses and the tarmac road, then go right this is the 'main road' around the Kalamaki peninsular.

Not long after this you will find a track signosted to the right which brings you down to Koutsouri beach.

Carry around the road which is high up, you will eventually reach the Plaza hotel on the left, going right here brings you to Kanapitsa beach and taverna which is a good lunch spot. Also the boats to Skiathos town.

Again carrying on along the main road just past the hotel to the right is a track down to the south end of Tzaneria beach. This is also a stop for the Skiathos boat. Useful for those staying in Skiathos town as it avoids the crammed bus. Exiting the beach at the taverna brings you shortly to bus stop #12.

Mentioned in this post
Kolios Beach
Kolios Beach
99 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
Vromolimnos Beach
Vromolimnos Beach
329 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
Kalamaki
Kalamaki
Zakynthos, Greece
Skiathos Town
Skiathos Town
Skiathos, Greece
Skiathos, Greece
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kanapitsa headland walk

The Bench right on the headland at Kalamaki, is dedicated to the late Helen Buccanon Dunlop, she and her husband Richard, lived close to there since the 1970 's i believe, lovely couple, sadly now both gone.

Mentioned in this post
Kalamaki
Kalamaki
Zakynthos, Greece
Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,638 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kanapitsa headland walk

Quite a character RBD, I met him a couple of times, including one evening in Stathis where the artwork was on the wall. The last time he nearly ran me over at Sklitheri coming out of the car park. Great fun ...

Skiathos, Greece
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kanapitsa headland walk

Yes RBD Loved his lunch time forays to meet friends and drink a few of his favorite bombas, the bottles of Retsina, I can only drink Retsina very chilled, and the taste gets better the more you drink.

Reply to: Kanapitsa headland walk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted