We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to hire car but have lost licence!

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need to hire car but have lost licence!

Hi all!

Me and my partner are going to Skiathos for the second time on Wednesday and we've been so excited to hire a car and see more of the island as he's passed his test since we last went, however he's realised today he can't find his licence anywhere! We've searched high and low but I think he may have chucked it away accidentally and we're gutted.

Just wondering if anyone knows if it might still be possible to hire a car/quad somehow? Is there any way he can prove he has a full driving licence, ie some way they can search and see his licence with the DVLA etc?

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
12 replies to this topic
Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,927 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to hire car but have lost licence!

You have to call the DVLA from the hire place yourself, on your mobile. Then give them your details (You left it at home) they will fax the hire place within 24 hours, proof of your licence entitlement.

Durham
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to hire car but have lost licence!

SL1, what a great piece of advice.

Level Contributor
1,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to hire car but have lost licence!

Just be aware It’s a costly premium rate call - won’t hurt to email the hire company before you go as well to get a heads up, especially if your a new driver as they might have age/length of time full licence held..

Edited: 11 June 2018, 04:13
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,016 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to hire car but have lost licence!

I don't know if this still works.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189…

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,868 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to hire car but have lost licence!

He needs to have had a full licence for at least a year to hire a car, has it been that long?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,364 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to hire car but have lost licence!

You can also do this, and a code it gives you lasts up to 21 days. The summary displays what type of license you hold, what you are covered to drive, when your license is valid from/to and show any convictions/points, etc. You can save the information as pdf, and email it to yourself to show to a hire company. You can share it with the hire company also - it contains the last 8 digits of your license number and your full name. More immediate than the above process, and also useful if you are needing it out of UK office hours. I've just done it, and it shows comprehensive information

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

What you get from this can be viewed by the other party at this link

https://www.gov.uk/check-driving-licence

with the last 8 digits of your license number and the code that your own enquiry has generated (which lasts for 21 days. If you haven't got the license, have you got the driver number (photocopy??), which you will need to do this online (along with the NINO of the driver)? If not, I'd phone the DVLA first on 0300 083 0013.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,163 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to hire car but have lost licence!

Well remembered, travelbob!!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,927 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to hire car but have lost licence!

What the DVLA send you, contains your full licence details as mentioned by travelbob onpost #3

The code on post #6 (often ignored) is proof of your intention to hire a vehicle. However not sufficient proof to do so.

If a hire place does not recognise the DVLA document. Take the fax and leave. A good place will.

Level Contributor
1,161 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to hire car but have lost licence!

travelbob31.... that is a superb link and made a chubby little Geordie taxi driver laugh a lot ... 10 likes..

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need to hire car but have lost licence!

Top advice in post #1 & also welll done travelbob! I recall that thread but unsure where to find it.

Ignore post #6. That code from DVLA is NOT a substitute for either your physical licence or the document which DVLA will fax to a hire company. Since the introduction of the codes I have always obtained one but no hire company has been interested in checking it. And certainly it will cut no ice with Greek police if you are stopped due to an accident or routine check. If you cannot produce your licence or the faxed verificarion both driver & hire company will face heavy penalties.

Bite the bullet, make that premium call & stay legal!

Reply to: Need to hire car but have lost licence!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted