We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Map useless person !

Nth Wales
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Map useless person !

I have so enjoyed this forum and in Troulos very soon . My very last request is where are the nearest tavernas from the Hotel Korali ? Do we need to go along a long and winding road to get there ? Am spatially challenged and yes have looked up the area but would love to know how far they are in walking distance as in minutes and real safe access particularly at late evening ? Thanks !

13 replies to this topic
Sandhurst, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Map useless person !

I would say they all about 5 to 20 minutes walk being the furthest away depending on your pace and no hills because you are already at sea level.

Level Contributor
1,167 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Map useless person !

Lol... come out of the accomodation on the roadside, with your back to the sea facing inland go right... careful the road is busy with no path and cars are on the wrong side, go right around the corner (about 170metres) till you see a fuel station. You are now in the centre of Troulos. Go up the steep slope or big steps opposite the fuel station to nectar and ambrosia, this will give you the opportunity to have a panoramic view of Troulos and get your bearings as it’s the highest point, some love it some don’t, owned by the Pappas family. It is hike up the steps and the slope is easier ... I dread to think what will happen when you venture into town.. I predict your visit to town will go like this - board bus in Troulos, exit bus at terminus, spot Fresh Cafe and order a strong drink to calm the nerves which will be served to your table by a handsome young Greek Laddie (or Mitsa maybe Dimitris), have a wobbly, get back on bus assisted by a smiley chap in a blue cap who introduces himself as Telis who is an absolute gent, totally harmless and always helps distressed damsels, exit bus under the pines, hear people talking about a big bad wolf, have another wobbly when you realise you passed your accomodation as it looked different to the brochure, be given assistance/directions again by a kind trustworthy gentleman who says his name stavros about how to get back to Troulos ..

Moral of the story, if you get lost, just ask someone, it’s a super safe destination.. enjoy.. . Forgot to add .. it’s not really James Bond driving the bus...

Edited: 12 June 2018, 03:46
Crowborough
Level Contributor
206 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Map useless person !

😂😂😂😂 David , you made me roll up

Nth Wales
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Map useless person !

Thanks David and your prediction for my getting around sure fits past holiday experiences ! I did at least get the ' with my back to the sea turn right ' bit though from my map reading , so well chuffed with myself .The locals will be pleased to hear that l won't be driving as an even greater challenge and hoping a kindly Bond look alike will be driving the bus to Skiathos . Seriously though, it is great to know that the local folk are so welcoming and helpful which I experienced so long ago . My then eight year old navigated me through the streets of the town and she even gave directions to ' lost' tourists eventually as well tuned in to her mother's spatial failings ! Can't wait to be back !!!

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Map useless person !

Penny go down track to beach (1 minute) to Troulos Bay Hotel and Troulos Taverna (don't bother with Paralia fast food). Also Zaharo beach bar to right along beach during day.

Starting back to main road junction you will find a supermarket and Gyro Nimo by bus stop 20.

Go right and about 5 minutes will get you to Green Meadow on left, Ambrosia and Nectar on right and Victoria taverna, garage and supermarket on left by bus stop 19.

5 minutes walk further along the road will take you up to the junction by bus stop 18 passing Jasteri on left, Salt and Pepper on right and advise passing Zorbas fish food bar on left (never anyone in there).

At the junction apart from two supermarkets you can see l'artigiano pizza, Troulos gyros and Taverna Valeri.

Turn left at this junction and walking up this road just ahead you will see Captain Nikos on the left and another 5 to 10 minutes passing Rattatoui, kavili (not open last week), Yammas, Villa Rosa and Christakis Sports Bar on right, left, right, right and right respectively.

Finally starting again at bus stop 20 turn right and about 100 yards/ meters on the left there is a track which leads to Tiffany bar and Sunrise taverna and eventually comes out near Christakis.

Finally remember to take a small torch so that cars can see you (as well as to see where you are walking) walk single file where possible and on side of road facing traffic. It is safe as long as you use common sense. There are always other people walking up and down this road and the drivers don't want to hit any pedestrians so will normally give you plenty of room when passing. The road has some lights here and there but a couple of dark areas so take your torch and enjoy going out and exploring the great places to eat in Troulos.

Nth Wales
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Map useless person !

Fab reply Ian too and am well torch light savvy where l live anyway as on a narrow lane on a steep incline where l take my pooch out without lighting on the way . Great suggestions for tavernas locally in Troulos which l am looking up again . Which overall nearest taverna for Greek food in Troulos nearest the hotel Korali would you and others recommend ?

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Map useless person !

To be honest, you won't get a bad meal in Troulos, although i've never been in Zorbas, place looks scruffy somehow. My take on the best is Vareli, Victoria, Ambrosia and Nectar, if you can manage the steps, and Jasteri. Salt n' Pepper is very good, but not really Greek somehow? Also, it's popular, so you have to book, and I've been told that George has a new operation in town this year, so will probably not spend as much time in Troulos.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Map useless person !

Lancasterkebabman totally agree with your comments and choices but would add our favourite CaptainNikos as we feel it has a great atmosphere Imho and also for a beach view and sightings of the swans being fed Taverna Troulos. It's not everyone's favourite as it is a bit in need of a refresh, especially the tatty menus, but we find the food ok and good value.

The sight of one of the waiters frantically stumbling away from an angry swan because he got to near the cygnets was one of our holiday highlights.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Map useless person !

Ha! Wasn't Lambros was it Ian? Must admit, I do like Troulos Taverna for lunch, but haven't been at night. Same for Captain Nikos, Apaloosa Taverna, although it comes highly recommended! We only go for a week, and run out of nights!😀

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Map useless person !

Fitting in our favourite places, trying new ones and a few trips into town towards the end of our fortnight I was almost looking forward to leaving just to stop feeling overfed and overweight. Of course now I'm home I just want to go back and eat more glorious Greek food. Isn't life hard!

Reply to: Map useless person !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted