We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is there enough to do in Achladies

Nottingham
Level Contributor
125 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
is there enough to do in Achladies

Been looking at Achladies for a 2 week stay in september, is it a very big resort as we would want something to do in the evenings etc, I know Skiathos town is not far. Can anyone tell me if its similar to Gouvia (Corfu) or Kamari (Santorini) as visited these places and these are the kind of places that we like to spend our time in when on our holiday.

Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks Donna

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
Bourtzi Boutique Hotel
Bourtzi Boutique Hotel
#1 of 14 hotels in Skiathos Town
Filia Studios & Apartments
Filia Studios & Apartments
#1 of 6 hotels in Troulos
Angeliki Beach Hotel
Angeliki Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 hotels in Megali Ammos
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is there enough to do in Achladies

Hi Donna. We have been to Gouvia and Kamari and we went to Achladies yesterday as we are on Skiathos now.

I would say no - Achladies does not compare with either. It has a good, narrow beach, a couple of shops on the main road, a couple of beach tavernas and a beach shop. I don't believe you would find enough to do.

However, having said that it is a lovely island with lots of great beaches, all served by a regular bus service and some,such as Achladies, also have a water taxi to and from Skiathos town, where there is plenty of choice for eating and drinking and a couple of interesting harbours.Most "resorts" as some call them, are little more than a taverna or two and a couple of shops, but check out Troulos which is popular with a lot of posters on here.

Mentioned in this post
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
Skiathos Town
Skiathos Town
Skiathos, Greece
Troulos
Troulos
Skiathos, Greece
Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is there enough to do in Achladies

When you go to Skiathos regardless of which area you stay in, you are actually going to the whole island. Because it is small it is very accessible due mainly to the excellent bus service which runs along the south coastal road from end to end passing through all the small resorts on the way, Achladias being bus stop #10 of 26 .. just the one route so very easy to use.

Most devotees of the island will fall into two categories, Townies or Beachies, the Townies go to whichever beach they chose or a different beach each day and have all that the town offers at night.

The Beachies often stay in resort by day and then have the option of local tavernas or going into Town at night.

Wherever you chose to stay, only the Town is a settlement of any size all the other places Achladias, Aghia Pareskevi, Troulos, Koukounaries are areas of holiday accommodation with their own beautiful beach and tavernas with a couple of shops/supermarkets for your supplies.

I hope this helps to give you a clearer picture of the island, it is quite unique .. that is why so many people love it.

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos Town
Skiathos Town
Skiathos, Greece
Achladias
Achladias
Skiathos, Greece
Troulos
Troulos
Skiathos, Greece
Koukounaries
Koukounaries
Skiathos, Greece
Nottingham
Level Contributor
125 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is there enough to do in Achladies

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, Hope your having a great time,(Kev & Pat) . Think I better look at Troulos, etc don't want to be some where and be bored after a couple of days, will check it out when I get home from work on this wet and cold friday in England.

Thanks again

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Troulos
Troulos
Skiathos, Greece
England
England
United Kingdom
Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is there enough to do in Achladies

Richards Google map give an idea of whats in each resort - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms…

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is there enough to do in Achladies

Donna we've been to Gouvia and Santorini (fir the day) and Skiathos is nothing like those places. It is far,far better. No matter where you stay on the island you can hop in a bus to another area fir the beach or to eat in a different place. Nowhere is that far away. We're back late Aug/early Sept I for our 14th visit. We stay in Troulos and often go into town in the evenings to eat but there are lots of good places to eat in Troulos, nice and flat walk to bus stop beach and tavernas.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Troulos
Troulos
Skiathos, Greece
Leeds
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is there enough to do in Achladies

We love Achladies, because it has a chilled out feel with a few restaurants shops and bars when you need them, but only a wonderful water taxi away from the fabulous Skiathos town. So for us the perfect spot.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is there enough to do in Achladies

I stayed in Achladies the first time I visited Skiathos. There are only a few tavernas (plus a lovely bakery!). The beach is lovely however we found ourselves catching the water taxi to the town every night (it is rather difficult to get on the bus in the evenings as they are often full having travelled from the other end of the island). We have stayed in Skiathos Town ever since and catch the bus to the beaches during the day. There is an excellent choice of tavernas, bars etc in the town. Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos Town
Skiathos Town
Skiathos, Greece
8. Re: is there enough to do in Achladies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 12:16