We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

Hi all. Hope you're all well

I'm after some advice,

Can anyone tell me when is the best time of day to visit Agios Ioannis chapel? We are visiting in September for the day and want to make a special trip up to the chapel.

By best time I mean is this place dictated by tides? Tourists? Etc. When would be the typical quiet time to visit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul :)

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

There are no tides in the Mediterranean as we know them in the UK (strictly speaking I think there are tides but so slight as not to be noticeable, certainly the sea does not go "in" and "out"). The chapel is accessible all the time, provided you have the stamina to climb all the steps! When we visited I seem to recall there were maybe two or three other people there and that was an afternoon in July.

Edited: 08 February 2016, 18:16
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

Hey and welcome Paul;-) Assuming you're doing this independently and not coming over via an organized boat excursion?;-) Having said that, the closest port of call to get to Aghios Giannis is at Glossa.. from Skiathos, the ferry takes barely 15 min to get there.. actually docking at the fishing village below Glossa called Loutraki.. from there, your best bet is to grab a cab and have them wait.. or get a rental for the day;-)

Any time is a great time.. despite the hype with the movie, it's still a very quiet locale.. and with no public transport to get there, even more so;-) I'd just avoid any mid-afternoon heat with the climb up;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

Thank you both for your replies that is a huge help!!

Litsa - Yes we have booked independently as after hearing about most of the organised tours we didn't want to limit ourselves in certain locations etc if we like it we have the opportunity to stay as long as we want to.

We have booked a hire car too ;) and the busy at dream cars have been really helpful they will meet us at the port of Loutraki with the car for our arrival.

Thanks again guys no doubt I'll be in touch again with more questions ;)

Cheers

Paul

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

Our pleasure Paul;-) Looks like you've got all your ducks in a row.. well planned;-) You'll find the wooden sign pointing you to Aghios Giannis once you go up to Glossa making that sharp turn.. almost leaving the village.. look to your left where you'll be heading.. although the views to the right are incredible;-) Keep us posted.. keep Enjoyin'!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

Thanks again guys!!

Just need to book the ferry now. Is it best doing it online or just pay on the day?

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

Just one more thing in case you didn't know - the movie scenes of the interior of the chapel were filmed in another (and larger) church so you might be a bit disappointed with the actually very small, dark interior of the chapel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

Always a pleasure Paul:-) I've yet to book a ferry in advance.. usually do it while on the isle a day or so before;-) Sept is a wonderful time.. see you there.. and keep Enjoyin'!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

So I believe. I suppose with its great location they can't have everything ;)

Thanks Litsa I will do. I'll book on the island. We're staying in Skiathos. do you live in Skopelos or just a regular visitor?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

.. yeah, actually the Wedding scene inside was shot on a set:-) When you go and see, it's tiny .. and beautiful . inside:-) Don't forget to sign the visitor's book if it's still there;-)

No, I don't live on the isle.. am a blue blood Upper West Side Manhattan gal.. although I am a regular visitor.. my annual trip is usually for the month of Sept.. and if I can get away a second time like I was able to last year, I go in May as well;-) Enjoyin'!

Derbyshire, UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time of day to visit agios ioannis

Just to say if you have hired from Dream Cars, that's a good choice. They are delightful people.

The place won't be busy in September. In general earlier or later the better to avoid coach parties

Get answers to your questions about Skopelos