We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Racism and night life in Denmark

3 posts
Racism and night life in Denmark

I have lived in Denmark for two years now and most say with certainty that nightlife here sucks.worst of all is that the country is very racists to blacks. They won't let you go in.its a no go country for black people for tourism or night life. Besides night life here between Sunday to wenesday sucks.don't waste your time black folks.

California
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
332 reviews
1. Re: Racism and night life in Denmark

If this is true, why are you still living there after two years?

3 posts
2. Re: Racism and night life in Denmark

@painurseI am leaving there because i got an oversea job there who made me move over there.I dont do nightlife there anyway and thought it wise to educate other black folks who think of taking a trip there that they shouldn't be surprise when the security turns them away from the clubs with no reason and they start regreating.

California
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
332 reviews
3. Re: Racism and night life in Denmark

Sorry you are having this issue. I'd like to hear from people who are native to Denmark for their opinions as this sounds so odd.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,450 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: Racism and night life in Denmark

This is a complex subject, and discussions here tend to be just statements, usually, as it also the case with the OP, too generalized here. TA does not allow political discussions. I've heard about such cases in night life. Being a doorman is one of the worst jobs around. I've never heard about problems in tourism, and none were ever reported here.

3 posts
5. Re: Racism and night life in Denmark

First of all if you are not a black person you won't know about this so you can't say you have never heard about this.if you leave in Copenhagen you will realize that there is hardly I diverse crowd in clubs here. I am not talking about one or two clubs I am talking about a couple of them and what other black folks tell me too.if you go to a club and the security tells you that you can't go in and you inquire why? Their classic answer is you can't go in.they never give you any reason which to me would have made sense.Then why you are inquiring why you can't go in, you see the security letting in a group of white folks who don't even live in Denmark. Tell me if you are the one , what possible reasons will go though your brain?. Anyway there is no need be labouring the point since I don't do nightlife in Denmark anymore. Ifor you want to know what I am talking about just do a sample interview with some black folks in cph and they will tell you the truth.There are just a handful of black clubs in cph and when you go in there, the crowd is very diverse unlike others.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,450 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Racism and night life in Denmark

If you are answering my post above, please read it and note that I actually said that I heard about such cases in the night life. Not that I had not (or never) heard about it.

Edited: 27 February 2018, 01:03
2 posts
7. Re: Racism and night life in Denmark

I have plenty of friends of colour, and I have never heard anyone have that issue even though we go clubbing a lot in Copenhagen and Aarhus. I feel like it's more common to be turned away because you are wearing sneakers or something silly like that. Just avoid the douchy clubs and you're good.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Racism and night life in Denmark

I don’t think you can really comment if you’re not a person of colour. If you read reviews of nightclubs in Copenhagen they are packed with racist accusations that people are not being allowed entry because of wearing a turban or comments from bouncers that only Danes are allowed. So I’m sure there’s thruth to that

I’m married to a person of colour and without getting into political matters there’s definitely racism in Copenhagen but I don’t THINK that you would necessarily feel it if you’re a tourist just visiting the city. Luckily there are just as many and probably more Danes who are welcoming and more open-minded and it would probably be the exception rather than rule if you experience something racist on a short travel to the city/country.

1 post
9. Re: Racism and night life in Denmark

Racism is real in Copenhagen. I'm here on a mini honeymoon with my husband. I'm black and my husband is white and we went out on a night out, when we went back to our hotel ( Anderson) we were refused entry as they thought I was a prositute( I was in a parker jacket and flats!) The receptionist said well we have some many of 'your type' trying to get in! Really?! 'My type?!' What has happened to this city? I've been here before 10years ago and it seems the country has gone backwards. It's a shame!

Edited: 07 April 2018, 08:49
10. Re: Racism and night life in Denmark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 April 2018, 14:27
Edited: 07 April 2018, 14:27