We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Racism in Copenhagen

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Racism in Copenhagen

How many recently had experience racism in Copenhagen?

I have a bad experience to share. i just came back from copenhagen earlier this week. I am extemely disappointed with my trip there due to racism. As an asian girl who has been living abroad away from my home country for the last 16 years, i have never been put through the type of racist behavior by locals in all the countries that i visited/lived in. I was only there for 4 days as a tourist enjoying my first visit to a scandinavian country, loving the food and history. However, each day me and my friend had at least two to four racist remarks/racist slurs thrown to us in front of our face or as we past these people. We even had someone giving us a middle finger when he was cycling past us! What a disgrace. I don't think i will step foot in denmark ever again!

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Restaurant Krebsegaarden
$$$$, European, Scandinavian, Danish
Zahida at Westmarket
$$ - $$$, Indian, Pakistani
Grams Laekkerier
$, Cafe, Fast food, European
11 replies to this topic
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Racism in Copenhagen

You are specifying an incident with an aggressive cyclist on a bike path, who came from behind. I'd guess he was somehow irritated and wanted to pass quickly. A lot of cycling tourists are not so familiar with the biking in the city. But he was of course behaving in a rude and stupid way.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Racism in Copenhagen

No. I was far away from him in the sense that I am on my walking path (just next to the shop) and he is on his "cycling path" in the middle of the road which is not open to cars. I was in no way obstructing. We were taking pictures of the shops along Amargetov street and loving the area and suddenly this guy cycled past us and decided to give us a middle finger. Will see if I can post picture on this forum and you will be able to appreciate the distance between me and him. Moreover, I am a cyclist myself where I live, I do understand the use of bike path and shared bike and walking path as well.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Racism in Copenhagen

I am of course sorry to hear about this and yes, Amagertorv is a walking street, though some people bike in it too. But why do you conclude that this was about racism? The big Distortion Festival is known to increase the number of drunk youths in the city.

Level Contributor
91 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Racism in Copenhagen

Why do you conclude it's racism? In general, Copenhageners on bikes have a short fuse, especially in regard to those not in the know. With cruise ships and especially the busses, the carrying capacity of our main sights are at a maximum, which annoy those on the way from A to B. So you will often experience someone giving someone else the finger, or setting them straight vocally - we're a country where we appreciate order and we get very annoyed when someone breaks that order. I bet this guy just experienced something else and as such were annoyed already when you happened to be there, but that have nothing to do with racism.

Kentfield
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Racism in Copenhagen

She is talking about two to four incidents per day. Not just one incident with a cyclist.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Racism in Copenhagen

Yes, which makes the post remarkable. I understand from her reviews that there was an unpleasant incident in Tivoli.

Mentioned in this post
Tivoli Hotel
Tivoli Hotel
3,513 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Racism in Copenhagen

IF you experienced racism in Copenhagen, I am truly sorry.

However, I think it only fair before accusing all of Copenhagen of being racist, that the claim was clarified objectively.

I troll the streets of Copenhagen daily, and very seldom hear any racist remarks.

The thing is, where most Copenhagen'ers accept minorities opinions (incl. racists), it is just not socially acceptable to force such point of views upon others (such as shouting at others), and most Copenhagen'ers would act against it.

But...

It is very well known that cyclist tend to react badly to things that annoy them... king of the road and such.

But a finger is hardly a racist thing around here, just a rude gesture used while annoyed.

Also, I daily see tourist break a huge amount of laws and social conventions while in Copenhagen.

Don't get me wrong, I bet most of 'em just having a good time in Copenhagen, and don't even realize they are in the wrong.

Most people living here are ok with it... tourist are part of the city scene, and are appreciated for bringing more 'life' to the city... and we give them more 'room' for mistakes and oddities.

But at the end of the day, we are a very structured society and scoldings for being in the wrong (knowingly or not) happens, to foreigners and Danes alike... accept it and shake it off.

But again, thats hardly racism.

As you given no examples of racism, just the claim, I suggest you look objectively at the incidences.

Not to ask yourself, if you where in the right or wrong, but if what you experienced was truly racism.

God luck on your future journeys.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Berlin
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Racism in Copenhagen

" I daily see tourist break a huge amount of laws and social conventions while in Copenhagen"

Maybe you could give some examples? As someone who is coming to Copenhagen in a few days as a tourist, I want to avoid being shown the middle finger ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Copenhagen Denmark
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
Level Contributor
614 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Racism in Copenhagen

I am truly sorry to hear this. I have a couple of Asian friends and I've never heard them say anything about being yelled at or getting rude remarks, but I'll be sure to ask them about this. Living in city center I've never heard or seen anything like the incidents you've experienced, so I am very surprised and sad.

Naestved
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Racism in Copenhagen

Yes there are xenophobes and even racists in Denmark, like in most other European countries, They have become more self conscious in recent years, probably due to the existence of a powerful right wing populist political party. My impression is that they are mostly active in the social medias, they are rarely violent, but I am really sorry that you had to experience naughty behaviour, like you reported. Please remember, that the huge majority of Danes welcome and appreciate foreign visitors!

Mentioned in this post
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Reply to: Racism in Copenhagen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;