We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using ATM to withdraw cash in Copenhagen

scotland
Level Contributor
70 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Using ATM to withdraw cash in Copenhagen

We are visiting Copenhagen in October for 4 nights and I wondered if we could use ATMs to withdraw DKK while we are there? Would save us ordering cash in advance. We both have credit cards too but like to have some cash.

Travelling from the UK and would be using UK bank cards (MasterCard) to withdraw he cash. Are fees reasonable and do the ATMs have an option for English?

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
8 replies to this topic
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using ATM to withdraw cash in Copenhagen

Most cash points (ATMs) will automatically either ask which language you wish (when detecting a foreign card) or go straight for English.

No cash point in Denmark charges a fee for use - any and all fees will be from your bank.

Mentioned in this post
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
scotland
Level Contributor
70 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using ATM to withdraw cash in Copenhagen

Thank you for your reply. This is all good to know. When we visited Iceland in 2016 we used ATMs to get cash out with minimal transaction fees so good to know we can do the same in Copenhagen

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
748 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using ATM to withdraw cash in Copenhagen

Last summer I used an ATM with a fee. I think it was Danske Bank. But I was told about it so I could cancel the transaction. It could have changed since then of course. The ATM close to the metro station at the airport had no fee.

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Using ATM to withdraw cash in Copenhagen

How many digits are required for the pin?

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using ATM to withdraw cash in Copenhagen

I hope you are not using your credit cards to get cash at ATMs, it would cost you dearly, because it is considered a cash advance. Use at debit card instead.

You need a 4 digit PIN.

scotland
Level Contributor
70 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using ATM to withdraw cash in Copenhagen

When I say it’s a MasterCard- I mean our debit card. Confusingly in the UK a mastercard can be debit or credit card.

I also have a MasterCard credit card which is fee free anywhere in the world which is a big help when travelling

California
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using ATM to withdraw cash in Copenhagen

Copenhagen is almost a cash free city. We used at ATM once in eight days and it was for the smallest amount allowed as we needed it for a bus.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Using ATM to withdraw cash in Copenhagen

>>>Confusingly in the UK a mastercard can be debit or credit card.<<<

https:/…debit-cards.html

It is the same in the US. Here we also have debit (checking, ATM) MasterCards. We hope that our debit MasterCard will work smoothly in Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Oslo like it was working for us in Spain, Italy, France, and Portugal. In Germany with our debit MasterCard we had a very unpleasant experience.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18727…

Anyhow, it looks like the three Scandinavian countries are not cash oriented ones and we will need very little cash there.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Spain
Spain