We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Malmo

Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Malmo

Hello I will be in Copenhagen this week and would like to visit Malmo for a day. Any tips advice greatly welcomed e.g. best way to travel there? Cost?

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Malmo
Malmo
Skane County, Sweden
15 replies to this topic
Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Malmo

Hi,

The most convenient way to get there is by train. Timetable and ticket prices available on www.journeyplanner.dk - remember to select "to/from Skåne". You don't have to be related to use the "family" ticket.

You can also take a private bus company. They have fewer departures but can be cheaper. Check their websites for timetables, prices and bus stops: flixbus.com, nettbuss.no, graahundbus.dk/999-koebenhavn-malmo-centrum

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Malmo

I´d take a bus on the outbound route - there are better views from the strait bridge than from the train, which goes under the road surface. Crossing takes a little longer by bus.

Edited: 17 June 2018, 20:07
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Malmo

Thank you. Will I need my passport?

Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Malmo

Thank you for the information

Really excited to visit Copenhagen for the first time and keen to do as much as possible

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Malmo

Yes, you'll need a passport, there's always ID checking when going to Sweden nowadays.

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Malmo

Thank you

Rolling Hills...
Level Contributor
3 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Malmo

We travelled on the train from Copenhagen to malmo last week and passports were inspected. Also, traveling by train was very disappointing as we saw nothing of the actual bridge. We also had trouble buying tickets at Nørreport, which is quite a big hub. The credit card which I’d used at the airport to buy our tickets into central Copenhagen didn’t work. I think you have to use a card that requires a PIN number. There is NOBODY to ask. Also, make sure you understand the final destination as there are hardly any (no?) maps at stations so don’t expect to see malmo on the front of the train. We were advised that Lund is well worth a visit, but we didn’t get that far.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Lund
Lund
Skane County, Sweden
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Malmo

Thank you. I think I will get the bus over to Malmo and then get the train back as they seem to run more often than the buses. Will take my passport too.

Mentioned in this post
Malmo
Malmo
Skane County, Sweden
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit to Malmo

At Swedish stations, Copenhagen may be called Köpenhamn (= the Swedish name) or Köbenhavn H (= the Danish name).

Trains from Sweden to Copenhagen also often have Helsingør as the end station.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit to Malmo

Thank so much for this. When I spoke to someone at the hostel today they recommended buying the bus ticket in advance to save money either online or From tourist information centre, is this right? Bus leaves 8.30 Will the office be open?

Reply to: Visit to Malmo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted