We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1.5 Days in Stockholm - Go, go go!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
1.5 Days in Stockholm - Go, go go!

Hello:

My mother and I are arriving at Stockholm-Arlanda on June 29 at 07:20 AM.

We plan to take the Swebus to the City Terminal where we will store our bags in lockers.

Then walk across the street to the Scandic Continental to purchase 24hr Stockholm Passes.

Then our full day plan is:

-City Hall

-Old Town (Gamla Stan):

Riddarholmen Church (Riddarholmskyrkan)

Royal Palace (Kungliga Slottet)

Stockholm Cathedral (Storkyrkan)

Nobel Museum (Nobelmuseet)

German Church (Tyska Krykan)

National Museum of Economy with Royal Coin Cabinet

Post Office Museum (Postmuseum)

Great Square (Stortorget)

-Museum of Medieval Stockholm (Medeltidsmuseum)

-Parliament (Riksdagen)

-Stromgatan

-Kungstradgarden (Kings Garden)

Boat Ferry (I think included with our Stockholm Pass)

-Vasa Museum (Vasamuseet)

-ABBA Museum

-Aquaria Water Museum

Bus Ride (I think included with our Stockholm Pass)

-Stockholm Concert Hall

-Ostermalms Market Hall

-Icebar (Nordic Hotel)

-City Terminal, where we will collect our luggage and go to the cruise terminal for our cruise. The cruise actually departs the next day at 13:00 (we need to be back on the ship at 12:00). We have a secondary list of things to do if we are not worn out to tour the next morning but my question is... is the above primary list doable in a day? We are prepared to stretch ourselves. Is there something we are missing, or is there a better way to do this?

Many thanks,

griffinpaul

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm Arlanda Airport
Stockholm Arlanda Airport
Arlandastad, Sweden
Scandic Continental
Scandic Continental
1,517 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Stockholm City Hall
Stockholm City Hall
5,274 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm Old Town
Stockholm Old Town
16,826 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Royal Palace
Royal Palace
4,663 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm Cathedral
Stockholm Cathedral
1,206 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Nobel Museum
Nobel Museum
2,111 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stortorget
Stortorget
1,039 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Kungstradgarden Park
Kungstradgarden Park
441 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
The King's Garden
The King's Garden
419 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Vasa Museum
Vasa Museum
27,518 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Aquaria Water Museum
Aquaria Water Museum
332 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
ICEBAR Stockholm
ICEBAR Stockholm
1,505 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
5 replies to this topic
Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1.5 Days in Stockholm - Go, go go!

A totally unrealistic plan unless you plan to just walk by outside the attractions including the museums. You will have to take out most museums (keep Vasa). You have ca 20 items in say ten hours. This means 30 minutes including transport per item.

Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1.5 Days in Stockholm - Go, go go!

Not sure you are actually seriuos....That would be possible in three days but then it would still be too many museums, the unique about Stockholm is that its built on islands so on a day with fine weather you want to spend more time just walking around and enjoying the views. The sun will not go down until late so you could plan some late night walking if you have the energy. The boat tour included on the Stockholm pass.would get you around some of the best views.

Start with the boat tour stop at Djurgården see as many museums you can find time for. Walk back or use public transportaton (bus and boat tours included in the pass stop at 4PM) and do a late night walking tour of Gamla Stan and pass the city hall. Then return to Gamla Stan next morning and see some churches or museums when they open.

Historic museum -often overlooked - it's free entrance so you might just want to run around the gold treasure rooms room and perhaps 5 minutes at the Viking exhibition. You also didn't include Skansen....

I would say Nobel museum would not be on my must see list, don't see the point in a museum of a pop-group and the royal castle is not very impressive compared to what you find in other european cities. Aquaria not very special and I woyuld say Ice bar is just atourist trap - but that only my opinion.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 15:29
Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Nobel Museum
Nobel Museum
2,111 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1.5 Days in Stockholm - Go, go go!

Well I knew there may have been some skepticism in this trip but I didn't realize it would be that bad! lol. This is why I don't solely rely on Google Maps and reach out to you experts... :)

@Ugurd:

I thought the first 14 places were all very central and close to each other, so the travel time didn't worry me too much. Am I wrong? Some of the churches and museums may only be 5min stops depending on how interested in them we are (we are the type of people that sometime just take a photo of a place and move on if it is something we are not totally interested in after all). If we were to push the stuff on the other side of the bay (Vasa Museum, ABBA Museum, and Aquaria Water Museum) to the next day (maybe dropping Aquaria Water Museum if we run out of time), that means we could stay walking in central downtown and after the first 14, drop the Stockholm Concert Hall & Ostermalms Market Hall, and then go to Icebar to finish off the day. That would keep us in a walking loop, no?

@Nntklo:

I didn't think we would get much of a boat tour in unless we used it as a means of transportation. Is there lots open at night in Gamla Stan or is it just to see the buildings from the outside with lights? Some things like Nobel Museum are probably photo stops in a sense that 'hey, we were here' which is why some stops will be a lot shorter than others. I didn't want to go too out of the way for the Historic Museum as it didn't seem close to the rest. And yes, I did leave out Skansen - will look it up, but we usually pass on zoo's on our travels. And as tourists, we want to do the Icebar, even if it is overpriced and silly. Hope that makes sense.

Still open to feedback...

Mentioned in this post
Vasa Museum
Vasa Museum
27,518 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Aquaria Water Museum
Aquaria Water Museum
332 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
The Stockholm Concert Hall
The Stockholm Concert...
99 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
ICEBAR Stockholm
ICEBAR Stockholm
1,505 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Nobel Museum
Nobel Museum
2,111 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1.5 Days in Stockholm - Go, go go!

I understand you should plan the trip as it fits you of course. I have a thing against visitng a sight taking a photo and then on to the next place. I can easily spend 30 minutes finding the best angle for a photo.

Sorry but I think all museums and churches close around 5PM on Fridays., there might be exceptions.Note that Skansen is foremost an open air museum with histroric buildings (including a wooden church) moved her from all parts of Sweden and with some great views also, Skansen is actually open until 8PM on the 29th!

Don't know your budget but visitng Vasamuseum until it close at 5PM then early dinner at Ulla Winblad (see below) and Skansen after this would be a nice early evenin on a warm day.

https://www.ullawinbladh.se/

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Lidingo, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Silesia Province
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
873 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1.5 Days in Stockholm - Go, go go!

Most of the museums you mentioned (like Post museum or Medieval) are totally pointless to visit if you just want to take photos outside, it's not like Stockholm is well know for its e.g. postal services... Nobel museum might be an exception here.

The first part would make a nice walk, that's true, starting from the City Hall at the tip of Kungsholmen, through Riddarholmen, Gamla Stan and finally through Helgeandsholmen towards Kungsträdgården. However, rather than following a path on a map it's much better to just go and get lost in the Old Town.

You can also try to include the changing of the guards at 1:15pm next to the Royal Palace.

Östermalm's Market Hall is currently under renovation, so you can easily skip it.

And Skansen is so much more than just a zoo, be sure to read more about it before you decide to skip it.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Nobel Museum
Nobel Museum
2,111 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm City Hall
Stockholm City Hall
5,274 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Reply to: 1.5 Days in Stockholm - Go, go go!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted