We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

Hi! I am travelling with my mum in Sept and would like to get some advice from you guys. My plan is pretty ambitious now and I understand I need to cut down on some places.

I am a new driver in my home country so I don't think I am confident enough to drive and this makes it really difficult because I know that to see all the beautiful parts of Scandinavia, I will need to drive at some parts.

Anyway! This is my plan so far and would appreciate if anyone can give some advice :) Thanks!!!

Plane: 10 Sept 2018 (fly in to Helsinki) to 26 Sept 2018 (fly from Helsinki).

Helsinki (immediately fly from Helsinki to Kilpisjärvi)

Kilpisjärvi (3 nights = 10 - 13 Sept) (may have some problems getting around but I wanna catch the ruska)

Tromso (3 nights = 13 - 16 Sept)

Sognefjord (3 nights = 16 - 19 sept) (I heard this fjord is a must-see)

Bergen (3 nights - 19 - 22 sept) (7 hr beautiful train ride from Bergen to Oslo)

Oslo (2 nights = 22 - 24 sept)

Stockholm (long ride)

Tallinn

Helsinki (3 nights)

Which is the area which I can improve on/cut down? Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

I really can't see the point of Kilpisjärvi. You will see autumn colours at other places.

And you should add a night or two in Visby and Gotland.

But if you are staying in Oslo until the 24th, and flying out of Helsinki the 26, it will be hard to squeeze in Stockholm and Tallinn inbetween.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

Helsinki (immediately fly from Helsinki to Kilpisjärvi)

Enontekiö?

Rent a car

Kilpisjärvi (3 nights = 10 - 13 Sept) (may have some problems getting around but I wanna catch the ruska)

Cut down to 2

Tromso (3 nights = 13 - 16 Sept)

Drive from Kilpisjärvi, cut down to 2 nights

Drive back to Enontekilö, fly back to Helsinki and on to Bergen

Bergen (3 nights - 19 - 22 sept) (7 hr beautiful train ride from Bergen to Oslo)

Cut down to 2

Sognefjord (3 nights = 16 - 19 sept) (I heard this fjord is a must-see)

Cut down to 2, rent car from Bergen to get there

Oslo (2 nights = 22 - 24 sept)

Take the Bergen-Oslo train

Stockholm (long ride) stay 1 night

Take the Oslo-Sto night train

Leave by boat to Tallinn

Tallinn stay 1 night

Boat to Hel

Helsinki (3 nights)

Something like that. Do not avoid driving in Finland or Norway rural areas, a car is really handy and there is very little traffic.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

"I really can't see the point of Kilpisjärvi. You will see autumn colours at other places."

Just for the autumn colours no. But there are dramatic changes in scenery on the way. First after Karesuvanto (yes, it should be spelled with just one A, as locally Kaaresuvanto is pronounced Karessuanto) is when you really start hitting the tundra. And gradually, when you get closer to Kilpisjärvi, the scenery gets more mountaineus and majestic.

If you happen to have a change to drive through the Finnish Lapland and go over to Norway, I highly recommend.

Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

Hi thank you for your replies.

I am now thinking of 2 itineraries.

First itinerary focusing on Western Norway. Basically following Rick Steve's guide.

Second itinerary focusing on Tromso to chase the Northern Lights. I have researched and found a tour guide with quite high success rate of catching the Northern Lights. But the price for this 2nd itinerary is extremely high/many time wasted on traveling.

I understand that NL is based on the weather and luck but I guess being in Norway means there is a higher chance of catching it? But at the same time I am conflicted becauseI tried to chase for NL in Iceland before and I know chasing NL shouldn't be the aim of my itinerary.

*** 1st itinerary ***

10 Sept - Helsinki to Bergen

10 Sept to 12 Sept - Bergen (2 nights)

12 Sept to 14 Sept - Sognejord (2 nights)

14 Sept to 16 Sept - Jotunheimen Country (2 nights)

16 Sept - 18 Sept - Lillehammer, Gudbrandsdal Valley (2 nights)

18 Sept - 20 Sept - Oslo (2 nights)

20 Sept to 22 Sept - Stockholm (2 nights)

22 Sept to 23 Sept - Tallinn (1 night) (ferry to Helsinki)

23 Sept to 26 Sept - Helsinki (3 nights)

*** 2nd itinerary ***

10 Sept - Helsinki to Tallinn (ferry)

10 to 11 Sept - Stay at Tallinn (1 night)

11 Sept - Tallinn to Stockholm (ferry)

11 to 13 Sept - Stockholm (2 nights)

13 Sept - Stockholm to Tromso (plane)

13 Sept - 23 Sept - Tromso (and explore Lofoten Islands? But I will have to travel to n fro from Tromso)

23 Sept - Tromso to Helsinki (plane)

23 Sept to 26 Sept - Helsinki (3 nights)

I find the 1st itinerary makes more economic sense but to give up on Northern Lights and avoid going to the top of Norway/Finland seems like a waste for me (or is it not? >_<). Thanks!!

Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

And I have decided to forgo Kilpisjärvi because it is very difficult and expensive to get around without a car... I am a new driver who got a license like 1 month ago and I still drive around with my dad beside me so I don't think I wanna risk it!

Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

Ah I just got mixed up for the 1st itinerary. The Norway part is for driving around Norway. Norway in a Nutshell is a 1-day itinerary.

What I saw from online:

Travelled on the 'norway in a nutshell' ticket from Bergen via train to Voss, coach to Gudvangen, Boat to Flam, then on the Flamsbana train up to Myrdal, and finally via express back to Bergen. A most enjoyable day and well recommended. The ticket cost 935 Kr. and i bought it the day before in Bergen Tourist Information. I imagine as the summer comes on you'd need to book well in advance.

https:/…

Edited: 09 June 2018, 23:54
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

On hindsight maybe I should stick with what I posted originally:

*** 3rd itinerary ***

Helsinki (immediately fly from Helsinki to Kittilä airport)

10 to 12 Sept - Kilpisjärvi (2 nights) - take some taxi/bus. I found a accom that has direct bus to Tromso.

12 to 17 Sept - Tromso (5 nights) and visit neighbouring towns/or day trip to Lofoten Island. (flight)

17 to 19 sept - Bergen (2 nights)

19 Sept - do Norway in a Nutshell. Maybe stop over a one place in the middle for a less hectic day.

20 Sept to 22 Sept - Oslo (2 nights = 20 - 22 sept) (train)

22 Sept to 24 Sept - Stockholm (train, long ride)

24 Sept to 26 Sept - Helsinki (3 nights)

I have skipped Tallinn in this itinerary. Should I cut 1 day from Tromso and add Tallinn in?

After much thinking, I think that 3rd itinerary is most viable...? Would appreciate your comments. Thank you and sorry for the confusion above.

Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

I wanted to delete my above posts but was unable to do so. I have decided to cut on Tallinn as I was worried I am spending too much time on travelling and visiting too many places.

Helsinki (park luggage somewhere)

Stockholm (3 nights) (by train)

Oslo (2 nights)

Train and boat to Aurland (1 night) (Aurland to Bergen via fjord cruise)

Bergen (sleep in Bergen) (2 nights) (by plane)

Tromso (4 nights)

Helsinki (3 nights)

Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

Helsinki (by ferry)

10 Sept - Tallinn (1 night) (by ferry)

11 - 14 Sept - Stockholm (3 nights) (by train)

14 - 16 Sept - Oslo (2 nights)

16 - 17 Sept - Train and boat to Aurland (1 night) (Aurland to Bergen via fjord cruise)

17 - 18 Sept - Sept Bergen (sleep in Bergen) (2 nights) (by plane)

18 - 23 Sept - Tromso (5 nights)

23 - 26 Sept Helsinki (3 nights)

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn

Why not fly to Tromso from Stockholm and work your way down Norway from there? Do you need to return to Helsinki or could you get an open-jaw ticket and leave from Oslo?

To me 5 days in Tromso sounds a lot.

Reply to: Finland, Norway, Sweden and Tallinn
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted