We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic route between Lulea and Kemi?

7 posts
Save Topic
Scenic route between Lulea and Kemi?

Hi. I am planning to travel to Rovaniemi from Stockholm by Stockholm-Lulea-Haparanda-Kemi-Rovaniemi route in october. Are there any place in between these routes worth visiting? I am interested in landscape and scenic views. Are these routes scenic? I would have a stop over of 2 hrs. at lulea in morning and could take a 2-3 hrs. stop over at haparanda/kemi accordingly.

Pls. suggest.

Mentioned in this post
Rovaniemi
Rovaniemi
Lapland, Finland
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Kemi
Kemi
Lapland, Finland
Tallinn Day Cruise from Helsinki
23 Reviews
from US$235.50*
Helsinki Shore Excursion: Hop-On...
94 Reviews
from US$35.50*
Free Cancellation
Special Offer
Helsinki Super Saver: 24-Hour Hop-On...
30 Reviews
from US$50.90*
US$65.23
Free Cancellation
3 replies to this topic
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic route between Lulea and Kemi?

I would no go down to Kemi, Haparanda/Tornio is nicer. From Keminmaa you might take road 926 to Rovaniemi, it goes on the other side of river Kemijoki than the main road.Quiet rural road, somewhat better views to the river.

Mentioned in this post
Kemi
Kemi
Lapland, Finland
Tornio
Tornio
Lapland, Finland
Rovaniemi
Rovaniemi
Lapland, Finland
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic route between Lulea and Kemi?

Yes, that road 926 is better for the views! We call it Itäpuolentie (the East Road).

E75 isn't exactly a highway either, but 926 is even more a country road. There are farms, river views and also the road itself is much more fun to drive. Twisty and undulating. It is in good condition though, very low traffic and has no speed cameras. And as it follow the river so colesly, the forest isn't all just pine.

There are a couple of water dams on the way. Find them on the map. And on the map, if you first happen to find a dam called Petäjäskoski and then a road Alakanavantie to drive through. It gets over to E75, but you can get back to 926 easily (over the dam).

When you get closer to Rovaniemi Rautiosaari and Paavalniemi are some of the rare places in Lapland, where you can still see old farm houses (because WWII happened). Rautiosaari you can just drive through, but Paavalniemi is a small detour.

Interested in churches? Keminmaa has an old church called the Old Church of Keminmaa (or St Michael's Church). It is not a cathedral (we are a humble Lutheran country), but a modest and a bit spooky rock church built in 1500's. Worth a visit. It will take you back in time when we still fought dragons.

Rieskapaikka near dam Ossauskoski has maybe the best Lappish flatbreads in this area. Their restaurant is very homey, more a typical roadsife cafe, but their products are good.

Mentioned in this post
Rovaniemi
Rovaniemi
Lapland, Finland
Lapland
Lapland
Finland
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic route between Lulea and Kemi?

Can't edit my post for some reasen, but I meant to say, that the Rieskapaikka restaurant is NOT very homey, but still a place to stop for flatbreads.

Reply to: Scenic route between Lulea and Kemi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted