We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative sights in Helsinki?

Porvoo, Finland
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative sights in Helsinki?

Taking a detour through the most common tourist attractions won't take long and I need to guide a few of my friends in Helsinki for 4 days in total in July (one day includes a half-day-trip to Porvoo). They want to spend as much time outside as possible, so most museums are out-of-question. What would be some alternative sights to see or experience while in Helsinki, or would it just be better to do busy 2,5 days in HKI and take a day-cruise to Tallinn?

4 replies to this topic
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative sights in Helsinki?

Day cruise to Tallinn is always a good idea.

Nuuksio NP and Haltia take easily one day. Another day can be spent visiting the scenic Gallen-Kallela museum in Tarvaspää, (If into birds fit in visit to Villa Elfvik bird area in Laajalahti.), Hvitträsk in Kirkkonummi and in Porkkalanniemi recreation area.

I assume you have a car at your disposal.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative sights in Helsinki?

The island outdoor museum of Seurasaari should please your outdoorsy friends. It's a beautiful island and worth seeing in itself, with the plus of rural buildings collected from around the country. A shortish bus ride (route 24) from downtown.

How about an island-hopping tour from Kauppatori quay? This includes Suomenlinna and docks at more convenient points there than the city ferry.

Suomenlinna has quite a large area and, in addition to the main sights there, it's worth getting off the beaten track to find yourself an isolated cove with views of the city centre - that's something not many capital cities can boast.

Then there's the stroll from the central railway station through the park to Linnunlauluntie, a leafy, picturesque district of timber villas with views of Töölö Bay. This still hasn't become inundated with tourists - the cafés there get busy but mainly with Finnish customers.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
852 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative sights in Helsinki?

Seurasaari just launched a video, which I think shows quite nicely that it is not only a museum, but also a nature target. And less crowded than Suomenlinna.

https:/…

Finland
Level Contributor
279 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative sights in Helsinki?

I agree with all mentioned above. I woiuld also recommend getting the city bikes and cycling a tour in almost any direction from the city center. Gives a great opportunity to be outside and see around.

Reply to: Alternative sights in Helsinki?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted