We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative sights in Helsinki?

Porvoo, Finland
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative sights in Helsinki?

Taking a detour through the most common tourist attractions won't take long and I need to guide a few of my friends in Helsinki for 4 days in total in July (one day includes a half-day-trip to Porvoo). They want to spend as much time outside as possible, so most museums are out-of-question. What would be some alternative sights to see or experience while in Helsinki, or would it just be better to do busy 2,5 days in HKI and take a day-cruise to Tallinn?

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Porvoo
Porvoo
Uusimaa, Finland
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
4 replies to this topic
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative sights in Helsinki?

Day cruise to Tallinn is always a good idea.

Nuuksio NP and Haltia take easily one day. Another day can be spent visiting the scenic Gallen-Kallela museum in Tarvaspää, (If into birds fit in visit to Villa Elfvik bird area in Laajalahti.), Hvitträsk in Kirkkonummi and in Porkkalanniemi recreation area.

I assume you have a car at your disposal.

Mentioned in this post
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative sights in Helsinki?

The island outdoor museum of Seurasaari should please your outdoorsy friends. It's a beautiful island and worth seeing in itself, with the plus of rural buildings collected from around the country. A shortish bus ride (route 24) from downtown.

How about an island-hopping tour from Kauppatori quay? This includes Suomenlinna and docks at more convenient points there than the city ferry.

Suomenlinna has quite a large area and, in addition to the main sights there, it's worth getting off the beaten track to find yourself an isolated cove with views of the city centre - that's something not many capital cities can boast.

Then there's the stroll from the central railway station through the park to Linnunlauluntie, a leafy, picturesque district of timber villas with views of Töölö Bay. This still hasn't become inundated with tourists - the cafés there get busy but mainly with Finnish customers.

Mentioned in this post
Kauppatori
Kauppatori
796 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
817 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative sights in Helsinki?

Seurasaari just launched a video, which I think shows quite nicely that it is not only a museum, but also a nature target. And less crowded than Suomenlinna.

https:/…

Finland
Level Contributor
278 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative sights in Helsinki?

I agree with all mentioned above. I woiuld also recommend getting the city bikes and cycling a tour in almost any direction from the city center. Gives a great opportunity to be outside and see around.

Reply to: Alternative sights in Helsinki?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;