We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

England
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

Hi, Id like to travel from Stockholm to Helsinki in mid July and returning at the end of july (so id want a route rather than cruise). After researching on forums most people seem have had bargain deals (like 32euro each way!) and several websites claim the ferry is cheaper than flying. The cheapest I can find is Viking Line for 154euro return (where im sharing a cabin with strangers in C-class), wheras a flight with norweigian air is £55 return. I really like the idea of the ferry (especially the morning views and the buffets!) but the price of the flight is just too tempting.

Is there a certain length of time which I have to book in advance (eg 90 days before departure) to get the best deals? or is it a case of book as early as possible? The price quote is direct from the viking line website, is it better for me to phone a sales agent in my own country (UK)?

Any help would be great! :)

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
109 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

We took the Tallink-Silja line one-way from Stockholm to Turku in August 2011 and received a small "early booking" discount (still ended up paying over 100 Euros/person including a buffet dinner). We booked about 45 days ahead, and my guess is the discount applies as little as 28 or 30 days ahead of your departure date. I assume Viking has a similar deal, it seems the two lines are pretty comparable. The flight you found sounds like a good deal, but remember that one night's lodging is covered if you take the ferry whereas that is a separate cost if you opt for the flight.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

Check also cruise packages (which are for return travel) you can book two of those and leave the return parts unused if they turn out cheaper than two single tickets. Furthermore, you will be travelling in the peak and thus most expensive season (July), so any bargains are rather unlikely.

Cheapest options you usually get directly from the shipping companies or Finnish travel agencies - it's very unlikely that a UK agent could beat the prices of the shipping companies.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

There are a lot of bargains right now, but for the summer peak season there most likely will not be any such bargains. (Something like a cruise + cabin for 4 pers 10 €)

A flight by Blue1 or Norwegian is in most cases cheaper than the boat if you just calculate the transport and not the 1 night lodging on the boat.

England
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your help! Ive changed my dates a little bit and found (with Silja line) a bed in C class for 86Euro return (156Euro return including 2xdinner buffet and 2xbreakfast buffet), which once you take into account 2 nights of bed and food works out at the same price as the flight + 2 nights hostel.

How do you get the early bird discount? (it is mentioned nowhere on silja booking system). On Viking, the booking system will not let me do early bird booking if im booking 1 bed. Do either of the companies offer discounts for youths? (Im 24)

I think I may just go with the silja line and im really looking forward to the experience :)

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

Viking Line's bargains are always listed at vikingline.fi/varaamatka/… (available only in Finnish).

On Viking Line you get the early bird disounts if you book and pay 21 days prior to travel. You should select the early bird discount as a product in the booking system. It's not available for all services (e.g. suites) and there are no refunds (but they can be rebooked). Check also the cabin packages, as then you'd have the whole cabin to yourself.

On Silja Line 15% early booker's discount on all cabin prices when booked and paid 28 days prior the departure. No cancellations, no refund!

Early booker prices are available here: tallinksilja.com/fi/trips/routeTrips/tur-sto…

Silja Line's offers are at tallinksilja.com/fi/mainMenu/silja/offers/

Viking Line gives discounts to full time students.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

What is the quickest transportation from Helsinki to Stockholm in July?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

Fastest: flying

Most comfortable: ferry

Well educated biter...
Level Contributor
318 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

I don'n know what "comfort" there is, being incarcerated in to a partyboat for 12 hours. Only problem with the flight option is getting to downtown Stockholm from Arlanda. For that only, one propably ends up paying more than for the flight and ferry together.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

I don't find the partying that big of a problem, as long as you steer away from the cheapest cabin categories. You can have a good dinner, sip a few cocktails, beer or wine and admire the sceneries while the ship takes you to Stockholm. Also the views of Stockholm archipelago in the morning are breathtaking.

Furthermore there's far less partying on the ships in the peak season like July because 1) the ships are packed by families on holiday, 2) trip prices are at their highest (those after the cheap boose are usually also after the cheapest cruise offers).

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki Ferry

Thank you- one of my concerns with flying was the transportation to Stockholm.