We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
213 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

Does anyone have any experience with cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel reservations?

I booked a room at the Scandic Paasi for early June at a non-refundable rate with complete confidence that we would stay there, because I had non-refundable flights out of Helsinki. But, as Murphy's Law would have it, we had a family emergency arise and have to cancel that leg of our trip.

I found Cancelon.com through a google search. It looks like a legitimate website. Does anyone have experience with it?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

Never heard, but I don't quite get what you are after? If you were supposed to stay in Paasi in early June, I cannot imagine how it would be of any value to anyone retrospectively.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
213 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

Sorry - CORRECTION: I meant early August -- 8/4-6. My apologies for the confusion!

3. Re: Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2013, 21:09
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
213 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

Hi John,

I was wondering if anyone else had experience using cancelon and if it is a legitimate business. According to the hotel I booked, Scandic Paasi, I can legally transfer my reservation to another individual. So it appears that it is legal to sell your non-refundable booking to someone else.

Given my situation, this would seem to be a good way to recoup some of my loss. It might also be a good deal for a buyer in that the room type I booked is no longer available at the price I paid. All that said, I was a bit wary because I had never heard of Cancelon before.

5. Re: Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
213 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

Yes, that's the one. The down side is that, if you sell, you pay 10% to Cancelon. But if you don't sell, you don't pay.

7. Re: Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

New York City, New...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

I sold my hotel reservation and saved $200. I think that 10% is not a lot considering the fact that they saved me so much money. I would have lost all of it without them. Airbnb takes 15%.

Salo, Finland
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

Hi, I am interested to know what you decided? And how was the process, any problems to sell your non-refundable hotel room? I am from Finland and interested in knowing how does it work with Finnish hotels?

10. Re: Cancelon.com for selling non-refundable hotel stays?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 14:18