We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar car rental - give them a very wide berth

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
22 helpful votes
Goldcar car rental - give them a very wide berth
Save

Just returned from Spain where I had the misfortune to use goldcar at Alicante airport. Arrived after midnight and when I got to pick up the car (a ford focus) it was clear it had been in various accidents. Both front wings were damaged, panel beneath passenger wing was missing, covered in scratches and dents, door seals on drivers side were hanging off, parcel shelf was damaged, the car was dirty and unbeknown to me at the time, the cigarette lighter didn't work so my sat nav died after 3 days.

I returned to main terminal to complain and the goldcar assistant (Sergio) couldn't care less. He was rude, didn't listen, talked over me, told me he knew what I was going to say etc etc. I did not want to drive a car in that condition but he refused to change it and maintained the car was mechanically sound. As it was the early hours I reluctantly took it and complained 3 times by email. Goldcar still haven't responded. I phoned after 3 days and the customer care advisor finally offered a replacement car to the heap of junk originally provided to me. However, they wanted me to drive back to alicante airport (45 mins away, with no functioning sat nav) to collect the replacement and fill it up with petrol! I requested a refund but they refused. Needless to say I didn't return.

On return to the UK I discovered that they charged me €30 to clean the car (sand in the boot apparently! Imagine going to a beach resort and getting some sand in the car). The price of the petrol refund was laughable especially given how much they actually charged me for a full tank (around €140!!!!). They had also converted my bill to £ from € without an appropriate explanation and the exchange rate is in their favour.

I complained on return home but I've still not had any response from them. I am going to inform watchdog on bbc1 and complain to my credit card company. I'm also going to leave as many online reviews for goldcar as possible. If goldcar happen to read this, I'll save you the time and effort of a re-reply. My reservation number is 7116355

8 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Goldcar car rental - give them a very wide berth
Save

Just an update. I complained to my credit card company and sent them numerous photos of the car at time of collection. Barclaycard reimbursed me over half of the money. The operator informed me that they have many complaints about goldcar. My advice - complain when you get home. If my experience is anything to go buy, goldcar couldn't care less

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
81 posts
271 reviews
86 helpful votes
2. Re: Goldcar car rental - give them a very wide berth
Save

Similar happened to me in Tenerife. Fortunately I spotted the damage before getting into the car.

There is no way I would have hired Goldcar because of their shocking reviews BUT I hired with a comparison site and was sub-let to Goldcar who then sub-let me to their sister company.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
49 reviews
134 helpful votes
3. Re: Goldcar car rental - give them a very wide berth
Save

I am going through a similar battle now...

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
81 posts
271 reviews
86 helpful votes
4. Re: Goldcar car rental - give them a very wide berth
Save

Also had problems. Be aware that some of the comparison websites sub-contract you to Goldcar without you knowing

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
149 reviews
116 helpful votes
5. Re: Goldcar car rental - give them a very wide berth
Save

I came here today to say the exact same thing , I had a truly awful experience , funnily enough also with Sergio where he was rude, aggressive and downright nasty, he tried to bully my father into paying another £1000 with he told us was a legal requirement, he lied to us and totally ripped us off. Absolute harassment, i'm not naive and rent cars from this airport frequently and in all my years travelling to Alicante i've never had such a terrible experience with car hire. Our car was also badly scratched when we got it. Telling people to avoid these con artists like the plague is the best advice anyone can give.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
60 reviews
82 helpful votes
6. Re: Goldcar car rental - give them a very wide berth
Save

We have just had shocking experience with Goldcar. We arrived at Alicante to be issued a Ford Focus which was not Car type we had ordered. Probably the one that was in the accident mentioned as it was in a disastrous condition. Scrapes and dents everywhere. Husband queried the condition as a few damaged areas not mentioned on their issuing paperwork. Hubby was given a piece a paper with a circle on it and told to only report additional damage if it measured larger than the circle. One suspect area on bonnet that hubby called the chap out of his booth to look at only to be told 'that's fine..no problem". Car was crap. Drove crap. Looked crap. No guts to it whatsoever. We made do throughout the fortnight and returned it back with full tank as requested. Nobody checks Car over with you when you return it. All they are interested in is you dropping off the keys. Arrived back to England on Monday and today (Thursday) hubby receives an email from Goldcar saying they are charging to his card an additional 241€ for the 'dent if the bonnet' that was there when we collected the car!

Looked online to see this is a regular scam that Goldcar are pulling. Hubby phoned our credit card company who without any qualm recommended cancelling the credit card and reissuing hubby with a new one so that this scam of a company can't process the charge.

Not even sure why we used Goldcar as we always use Record when travelling to Alicante.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Goldcar car rental - give them a very wide berth
Save

Goldcar rip off rented car in Feb apon return was told there was damage to car (no damage) and the took €1300 excess from my credit card.

Thief’s

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
15,913 posts
25 reviews
42 helpful votes
8. Re: Goldcar car rental - give them a very wide berth
Save

This is how they make their profits either by selling overpriced insurance or taking money from your credit card for dubious damage claims.

Unfortunately people are drawn in by the cheap up front prices and then ripped off afterwards so they end up paying more than using a reputable firm in the first place !

Reply to: Goldcar car rental - give them a very wide berth
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Algorfa
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.