We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand and Ash/Credit Card Protection

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sand and Ash/Credit Card Protection

My credit card company (American Airlines Advantage) that I used to pay for my Blue Car Rental told me that they cover all physical damage to the car and that I don't need to buy the sand and ash additional coverage and that I can decline all other of Blue's "free" insurances. Has anyone else done this or had an issue with using the coverage provided through their credit card company?

6 replies to this topic
Washington
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand and Ash/Credit Card Protection

Our credit card, though a different one, told us the same thing. We too have rented with Blue Car and they were fine with declining all but the mandatory coverage. We have not had to make any claims in Iceland, so can't speak to that, but we have made a claim on our credit card auto insurance in another country and everything turned out as promised.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand and Ash/Credit Card Protection

Just be aware that you'll have to pay in full up front if you use your credit card insurance and will then be reimbursed after handing in the paperwork which may take a while. Although the coverage is often better, that is reason for some people to not go with their credit card coverage, because you may need to pay a lot of money up front out of pocket before being reimbursed.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand and Ash/Credit Card Protection

Since it's a charge to the credit card, it's not really something you have to pay in full up front. In fact, with the one claim we had to make, we submitted the paperwork promptly and were reimbursed within a few weeks- reimbursement was applied directly to the card.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 20:55
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand and Ash/Credit Card Protection

Yes, I guess it depends when during your billing cycle the card is charged and how long it takes to be reimbursed, but you might be out of a significant chunk of money before being reimbursed and (depending on your limit) may not be able to use your card for other payments.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand and Ash/Credit Card Protection

For that reason, I think it is a really good idea to travel with two cards.

We might have been lucky, but I think we were reimbursed even before our next billing!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand and Ash/Credit Card Protection

I agree. I always have two different credit cards as well, just in case.

Reply to: Sand and Ash/Credit Card Protection
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted