We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 day solo trip to Iceland late August

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
4-5 day solo trip to Iceland late August

I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay and what to do.! All suggestions are welcome. I love to hike and be out in nature. I equally enjoy meeting people!

6 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
19,970 posts
634 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-5 day solo trip to Iceland late August

There are dozens of four and five day itineraries already on this board. Use the search function to find them, or skim back 10-12 pages. There are literally 500 "out in nature" things you can do in 4-5 days. Figure out what you most want to do and ask specific questions for specific help.

You can meet folks at hostels.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-5 day solo trip to Iceland late August

There are already many 4 - 5 day itineraries on this site, Use the search box above or google. No need to reinvent the wheel when a little research and a good guide book will help you.

You are very late in planning for this summer and you will find that in many areas lodging is unavailable or costs over $300 USD per night. Use the usual booking sites to check availability and the popular areas like Vik, Selfoss, Snaefellsnes peninsula so you know where you stand. Your best option may be to stay in Reykjavik and do day tours. Are you planning to rent a car?

Mentioned in this post
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Selfoss
Selfoss
South Region, Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-5 day solo trip to Iceland late August

It’s a wonderful place with many options to make your time amazing. Here are some questions to help people suggest directions for you.

Are you comfortable with renting a car and driving in Iceland, or will you want excursions with transport and possibly accommodation arrangements?

What are some of your preferences and interests? Do you like hiking and physical activity? Photography? Culture and history? Landforms and geology? Literature and music? Wildlife and nature?

What is your budget - Iceland is never cheap but are you looking to bring your own sleeping bag for a hostel and eat hot dogs, or are you willing to pay for something different?

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-5 day solo trip to Iceland late August

Thank you. I would be fine renting a car and driving, or would be happy hiring a guide. I want to hike, love photography, landforms, wildlife and nature, and definitely music at night. I'm looking to stay in an area where there is some activity. I like to talk to people! And I'd like to stay in a pretty nice hotel/B&B. Thanks for any suggestions!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-5 day solo trip to Iceland late August

You could mix and match from the following options:

1 day Golden Circle

2-3 days South Coast and Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon and back

1 day Reykjanes Peninsula

1-2 days Snæfellsnes Peninsula

1 day Westman Islands

1 day Highland trip by bus or superjeep to Þórsmörk or Landmannalaugar

1 day activity day trip (hiking, horse riding, snorkeling Silfra, glacier hiking, snowmobiling, ice climbing, Into the Glacier, ice cave, Inside the Volcano etc.)

If you want a nice hotel, music and restaurant choices you should choose Reykjavík, but if you want to see some of the amazing nature you need to get out of the city, so you'll have to find a compromise.

Accommodation availability on the South Coast and on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula will determine if you can do the multi-day trips (which are highly recommended), bus most people start planning and booking for the summer at the end of the year, so options may be scarce and/or expensive at this point.

The rest of the destinations I listed are possible as (sometimes long) day trips from Reykjavík.

For some of the activities you will need a guided tour. The rest of the options can be done as a self-driving trip.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
556 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Into The Glacier
Into The Glacier
818 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Inside The Volcano
Inside The Volcano
1,749 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Spain
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-5 day solo trip to Iceland late August

If you are looking for a real local experience, adventure and connect with nature I recommend you to contact local guide and go to the highlands.

I went to an Expedition with Destiny Iceland and it was amazing. I´ll repeat again.

Good people, great adventures, amazing food and surprises on the way. They know the real spots to stop and feel in Iceland. I didn´t see anybody for 5 days, except for some sheeps.

I also recommend to go hiking and enjoy the immensity and solitude of Iceland.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reply to: 4-5 day solo trip to Iceland late August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted