We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perlan- update.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
285 reviews
Save Topic
Perlan- update.

Hi (almost) everybody. I'm back. Tired and upset they confiscated my pet seal... :-))

Anyway, here is the Perlan Update.

Arrived there via their shuttle service and had a nice long talk about their price structure and what is happening.

They will sell at the more than half discount at the box office for at least until June. Online you can buy it until end of September (I just checked the website) and they will honor it.

Attractions are in 4 main parts. The interactive display in general, the virtual aquarium, the ice cave, and the 360 degrees rooftop observatory (well 5 if you include the coffee shop).

All the displays except the observatory are in full swing. NOT affected at all by the construction. The construction is in the not display parts. The observatory is closed off for about at most 20 degrees (as I roughly counted using the pacing technique) or roughly a 10-12 feet section on top of a tank where the construction is taking place. You can still see all around the city.

Not bad for a more than 50% off for less than 2% reduction in services. Not the 50% off cuz you get to see only 50% of the display as was alluded here.

They did say people were concerned about the reported fire/construction and had cancelled.

Also, I did hear the noise of the construction but it was at the entrance. At the ice cave, the general display, and the aquarium it was fine.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Perlan
Perlan
1,062 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
7 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,805 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perlan- update.

Thanks for reporting back, bigwawao! I hope you enjoyed your trip.

Who confiscated your pet seal?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perlan- update.

Just a joke. :-)) Saw the nice seal at the Zoo and really wanted to bring it back with me... But I know its illegal. Even to bring stuff made of animals- like animal tooth. Saw a booth full of it at the airport. Will be writing a report soon...

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,805 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perlan- update.

Looking forward to your report :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,499 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perlan- update.

I was just reading about this yesterday. It could be a good option if the weather is poor when we are in Reykjavik in August. Just trying to figure out - you say its a 50% off ticket at the gate until the end of June, but you can get a 50% off ticket on the website that is valid until September? So if I show up at the gate in August its full price? Hmmm, not sure I want to make an advance decision on this one as our time in Reyk is limited. But good to know!

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,849 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perlan- update.

Thanks for posting back 😊

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perlan- update.

Sorry to take this off topic, but how goes the search for the "real" Skyr?

https:/…90661958

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perlan- update.

Drr49, Bought Skyr, several brands, and they all tasted a lot better than the ones here. In fact I had skyr everyday,. They skyr here is just different and honestly, it was the first " skyr ' that I tasted. Then got the Icelandic ones and the latter just tasted a lot better.

Vancouverite67, if I recall the conversation, he said that they would sell (at the front desk at the current price for at least until June. Could be longer but he is not sure.

Reply to: Perlan- update.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted