We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 Day Tour to the South/Southeast in October

1 post
Save Topic
3-4 Day Tour to the South/Southeast in October

Hello!

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Iceland 8 days/7 nights on October 19th. That means 6 full days. From my reading, I get the sense that it’s going to be winter, which makes for risky weather and driving conditions.

We initially wanted to split up our time in Reykjavík and spend a few nights outside of Reykjavík. We have little to no experience driving in winter weather, so we want to be cautious and realistic, while still being able to see some of the beautiful things Iceland has to offer. With that, it seems like tours might be the way to go. We’re not extremely adventurous, but we do enjoy a relaxing hike and would like to see some the Golden Circle, glaciers, waterfalls, and the Northern Lights. Maybe even an ice cave. Ideally I would like to make it out to see the south and southeast.

I heard about some of the regional flights you could take from Reykjavík. I know we could do day tours but is there anything out there that would include flying to Hofn then driving back to Reykjavík over the course of 3-4 days with stops and activities? Possibly an overnight in Vik?

We usually don’t do tour groups but with the driving conditions we’d rather be safe than sorry. Any advice about this would greatly be appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
549 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
1 reply
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,930 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 Day Tour to the South/Southeast in October

You can do a Golden Circle day tour from Reykjavík (maybe even in combination with an activity like snorkeling Silfra, horse riding, snowmobiling or lava tube caving).

Then look into doing a two-day tour to Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon that will include the South Coast, the glacier lagoon and ice beach, a glacier hike and one night accommodation.

You could combine this with another two-day tour around the Snæfellsnes Peninsula.

While the natural ice caves in the Vatnajökull area will not yet be accessible in October you could do the Into the Glacier tour to the ice tunnel at Langjökull from Reykjavík or visit an ice cave near Vík if you don't mind duplicating some of the South Coast sights on the way.

There are plenty of NL tours from Reykjavík and while you are on the South Coast you could step out at night if conditions look good.

If you have no experience driving on icy roads in strong winds you should not risk it. You could leave Reykjavík in perfect weather and then get stuck in conditions you cannot safely drive in.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
549 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Into The Glacier
Into The Glacier
802 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reply to: 3-4 Day Tour to the South/Southeast in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;