We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
20 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help

My husband and I are hoping to have 7 days in Iceland at the end of August. We are so overwhelmed by all the possibilities that we are having trouble nailing things down.

We do not intend to see the whole ring road since we only have 7 days and we don't want to be driving the whole time.

We know we need to do Golden Circle, but beyond that we are a little stumped at the best course of action.

We love glaciers and would want to do a glacier hike. Would also love to see Icelandic ponies and puffins. Don't care for whale watching.

Outside of Reykjavik and Golden Circle, where would be the recommended few places to go? Would you recommend that we take tours or drive on our own? We are open to flying if necessary.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
561 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Icelandic Street Food
Icelandic Street Food
1,552 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
15 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

I am copying an answer to a similar question I posted today:

You could mix and match from the following options:

1 day Golden Circle

2-3 days South Coast and Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon and back (glacier hike and horse riding possible en route)

1 day Reykjanes Peninsula

1-2 days Snæfellsnes Peninsula (horse riding possible en route)

1 day Westman Islands

1 day Highland trip by bus or superjeep to Þórsmörk or Landmannalaugar

1 day activity day trip (hiking, horse riding, snorkeling Silfra, glacier hiking, snowmobiling, ice climbing, Into the Glacier, ice cave, Inside the Volcano etc.)

Accommodation availability on the South Coast and on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula will determine if you can do the multi-day trips (which are highly recommended), but most people start planning and booking for the summer at the end of the year, so options may be scarce and/or expensive at this point.

The rest of the destinations I listed are possible as (sometimes long) day trips from Reykjavík.

For some of the activities you will need a guided tour. The rest of the options can be done as a self-driving trip.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
561 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Into The Glacier
Into The Glacier
846 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Inside The Volcano
Inside The Volcano
1,820 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
20 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

Thank you so so much! This gives us great direction and it is less overwhelming to have these options narrowed down.

Thank you again. You are amazing Kim T!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

Just an FYI- they are called Icelandic Horses.

You need to nail down accommodations asap.

Mentioned in this post
Icelandic Street Food
Icelandic Street Food
1,552 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

The puffins might be gone by the end of August, but if they have left you can see some tame rescue puffins at Sæheimar museum if you visit the Westman Islands

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
20 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help

Thank you guys for the feedback. We hate that we are planning this last minute but unfortunately our vacations don't get released until a couple months ahead of time so we weren't sure if we'd be able to do this trip.

Thanks for the tip about accommodations. That will be my first order of business so then I can skeleton the rest of the itinerary around it. I figure Gold Circle can move to any point.

For the South Coast, it appears the places that people usually stay are at Vik and Hofn or Skalafell? Are these the towns that you would recommend to try to figure out accommodations?

Mentioned in this post
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help

There are cabins and cottages for rent all over the countryside of the south coast. Some are equipped with hot tubs. They range in size from one bedroom to several. As well there are farms that rent rooms with shared kitchen and bathroom privileges. And there are Bed and Breakfasts, as well as a few hotels outside of the city.

Most “towns” are very small - just a cluster of buildings or less. There might be a gas station with basic groceries. A lot of small communities, however, do have a public pool - if you have an unlimited supply of hot water, might as well enjoy it!

Keep an open mind about accommmodations and be flexible. We have done very well with Air BnB’s and the benefit is that we can find places with kitchenettes, so we can keep our costs down by doing some of our own cooking and packing lunches for our day trips. Accommodation is expensive. Expect to pay at least $200 a night for a small place with a little kitchen, probably more at this late stage. If you are patient about looking at dozens of listings and willing to paste together single nights at each place, I think you’ll do fine.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
20 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help

Thanks for the tips! I was getting scared that all might be lost!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,491 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help

Sounds like you are on the right track. My travel agent friend told me that Iceland needs to be booked by the previous Christmas, so you do need to pretty much go with whatever you can find at this point.

I've booked two nights with these guys

https://bungalo.com

We're staying 2 nights near Hvolsvollur and doing a day trip (hopefully) as far as the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon but if we had more time I would totally have done a night out the far end around Hofn somewhere. I also really would have liked to have included the Westman Island (puffins!!).

We've then booked a night in Laugvartn and are planning to visit the Fontana Hot Pools that evening. I think with more time, I would have tried to get out further west as well.

The more research I do, the more choices I have to make about where to go and what to see, but just get your nights booked!!! The days will fill.

(I have a thought which doesn't help for this year, but in future years, when you don't know your holiday dates, I'd probably still try and book something and just get bookings that can be cancelled for a small admin fee. Then you get to go where you want to go if the dates work out, and you aren't too badly out of pocket if you don't get the dates you need)

Good luck! I'm so looking forward to our trip in a few weeks!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help

Hi,

We are thinking of visiting Iceland sometime in the mid July timeframe. We are planning to do a SOTC tour package to Glimpses of Great Britain(8 day tour package). Along with that, we are thinking of covering Iceland as well for 5-7 days. Have a couple of questions to start with ;

1. The must places to cover in Iceland (out of 5-7 days I would eliminate 2 days from itinerary giving some travel time, rest time and departure time). We are travelling as a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 kids(10 and 6).

2. Ice cave I read somewhere that they don't operate during summer is that not correct?

3. Preferred places for accommodation

4. What are the tours we can do ourselves and what tours do we need to book with some local tour operators? Any recommendations on local tour operators?

5. Do we need a car rental?

6. Will there be any vegetarian food options there?

Thanks a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary help

I know its kind of last minute planning but we are hoping to make it work. Any suggestions here would help us narrow down just top 3-4 items that we definitely need to see when we are in Iceland. Open to good hikes also that are achievable with kids...

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reply to: Itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted