We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks beginning of September

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks beginning of September

I'm thinking of renting a small motorhome for a solo 3 week trip at the start of September.

I want to travel the Ring Road and West Iceland. I am a very experienced driver on both bitumen and gravel roads, but not in Icelandic winter conditions!

In terms of weather (and I know it's very unpredictable!), should I head straight to the west and north first, travelling clockwise on the Ring Road. Or what are people's suggestions?

Also, I understand that many camping areas close on 1st September. Is there a reliable reference source to find out which ones are open?

1 reply
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,445 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks beginning of September

You will have to plan out your route and then contact the campsites to ask when they close. Since there are many different entities running campsites there is no online list that is fully reliable. You can check on tjalda.is, but I would still verify the information.

What do you mean when you say West Iceland? In the Westfjords some roads may be tough to drive in a campervan and many places close in September, so that may not be the best choice.

Personally I would go clockwise, since snow often comes earlies to the Westfjords and the North.

Make sure to check the road conditions and weather forecast every day, though, especially for wind speeds and weather warnings, since a campervan is more vulnerable to wind gusts than a regular car.

I would also make sure that the campervan has an independent heating system and bring warm layers and a good sleeping bag.

Reply to: 3 weeks beginning of September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted