We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip to Iceland -- rent car or go with tours?

naples, fl
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute trip to Iceland -- rent car or go with tours?

We are thinking of a last minute trip to Iceland June 27- July 3. I found a package through Icelandair that includes airfare, hotels + we can add optional tours to the places we wanted to go anyway (golden circle, ice cave, glacier). Do you think that we should go with the tours -- day tours from our Reykjavik hotel OR rent a car and drive independently? If we had a car we could opt to do day trips from Reykjavik or find hotels along the way, though that seems a bit daunting to plan this late in the game. Thank you for your advice!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
5 replies to this topic
Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip to Iceland -- rent car or go with tours?

Iceland is not the place for last minute planning.

Unless you do some serious leg work, you'll have to go with what you are given.

Good luck and enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip to Iceland -- rent car or go with tours?

It would be an optimal time for a self drive. If the idea of organizing hotels, car, and itinerary sounds like a pleasure to you, then go ahead.

It's peak season but the number of tourists coming to Iceland is finally reducing. And there're new hotels and other accommodations that didn't exist just a few years back.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute trip to Iceland -- rent car or go with tours?

Yes-Rvk. Are you saying less than 3 weeks out, in summer, one can still get cost effective accommodation?

If so, please share. I might fancy a 4 day return trip but can't find anything other than extortionate.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute trip to Iceland -- rent car or go with tours?

Take the tour, I agree with Axelbobo- Yes-ryk has made it sound sooooo easy to find accommodations and but a quick look at Vik and booking.com shows prices anywhere from $400 to $650 USD per night. Finding all the way implies no reservations and I would not go anywhere along the south coast in the summer w/o a rez.

Mentioned in this post
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute trip to Iceland -- rent car or go with tours?

Most accommodation is very booked up by this point. You could find something, but you would have to really search, and also be flexible about size, price and amenities. If you’re willing to put in the time and take something different than you thought, you can probably do it.

Similarly with rental vehicles. The small cheaper ones are likely booked up. If you’re willing to rent a big sedan with all the bells and whistles, you can probably get something.

Seriously, at this point, book the package. It will probably inspire you to come back to Iceland again;and then you can do it your own way. That’s what happened to me.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reply to: Last minute trip to Iceland -- rent car or go with tours?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted