We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leftover food

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Leftover food

We are just about to wrap up or ring road trip. We definitely bought too much at Costco and have a lot of leftover non-perishable sealed food. I can't seem to find any info regarding a food bank in Reykjavik. Anyone know where we can donate or drop off these items?

4 replies to this topic
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
11,008 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Leftover food

None that I know off. There are no food banks in Iceland as people needing get a store (bónus) gift card to buy what they need. One place worth checking out is the Laugardalur Campsite as they might know a bit more or offer a "free for all" shelf somewhere.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
14,408 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Leftover food

You could try Red Cross Iceland - https://www.raudikrossinn.is/english/

Or maybe you'd like to support the ICE-SAR, the Rescue Services of Iceland. I guess they eat food :) icelandreview.com/stuff/ask-ir/2013/08/15/ho… - there's some info there, both the address, etc. They're near the city center.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
13,422 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Leftover food

Most hostels have a free food shelf, so if there is one nearby, maybe just ask. I am sure some budget visitor will appreciate it.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Leftover food

Thank you all, I will check around the last campsite and hotels!

Reply to: Leftover food
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted