We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland - Go all the way up to Hofn or stop at Hof?

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Iceland - Go all the way up to Hofn or stop at Hof?

Hello folks!

My husband and I are headed to Iceland in late July. We will be there for 5 nights focused on the south coast. We are spending the first two nights near Vik and then the last night back near Hella at Hotel Laekur. The question is which hotel for the middle two nights - between Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon near Hof or the Fosshotel Vatnajokull near Hofn?

Right now, we are leaning toward Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon, and not going all the way up to Hofn (Fosshotel Vatnajokull) - to save on driving. However, I'm wondering if we will be missing out by not going all the way up to Hofn?

My husband and I are avid day hikers. We like the mountains/outdoors, quiet, we love nature. I dislike being in the car TOO much or changing hotels each day and am not big on major tourist attractions like the Blue Lagoon or the plane crash. Although I do want to see the many waterfalls, Jokulsarlon, etc.

Anyone have an opinion on whether we need to reconsider and go all the way up to FH Vatnajokull (instead of FH Glacier Lagoon)? Also, if you have any must-do day hikes in mind that I might not be finding online, let me know! Any tips are appreciated! THANK YOU!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Hella
Hella
South Region, Iceland
Hotel Laekur
Hotel Laekur
309 Reviews
Hella, Iceland
Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon
Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon
838 Reviews
Vatnajokull National Park, Iceland
Hof
Hof
South Region, Iceland
Fosshotel Vatnajokull
Fosshotel Vatnajokull
605 Reviews
Hofn, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,660 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Jokulsarlon
Jokulsarlon
East Region, Iceland
Vatnajokull National Park
East Region, Iceland
7 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,544 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland - Go all the way up to Hofn or stop at Hof?

I would definitely recommend the overnight at Hof, instead of going further away till Höfn.

My personal recommendation of an easy hike that you don't see in many places: https://goo.gl/maps/7GaBXsbruku

Mentioned in this post
Hof
Hof
South Region, Iceland
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland - Go all the way up to Hofn or stop at Hof?

Just use the FH GLacier Lagoon. The remainder between Jökulsárlón and FH Vatnajökull is more sands like from Vík to Jökulsárlón and some rural farm area.

|

p.s. I would never in my life consider a plane wreck that was dragged from the beach onto a sandy hill as a major tourist attraction" (also, it's not a "crash site" at all like so many believe - that site is unlabelled down by shoreline somewhere), but people seem to be interested in it for some weird reason so I might be the odd one out there....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland - Go all the way up to Hofn or stop at Hof?

Part of our upcoming trip will be staying 4 nights at Fosshotel Glacier lagoon, so that we could use it as a base to go back and forth between Vik and Hofn, as well as giving us plenty of time to do some serious hiking. But, I am pretty sure the hotel is fully booked already by now... we booked ours 10 months ago and it was one of the last rooms left. Unfortunately good hotels booked up 6 months out in the summer!

Mentioned in this post
Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon
Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon
838 Reviews
Vatnajokull National Park, Iceland
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland - Go all the way up to Hofn or stop at Hof?

Don't worry - we planned ahead and have all of our rooms lined up. 😁 We just have free cancellation and adjustments - we wanted to be sure to get input before making final decisions. Hope you have a great time!

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Iceland - Go all the way up to Hofn or stop at Hof?

Thank you all!

And, yes, @wlaw102 we have all of our hotels booked. We knew Iceland was a trip to secure in advance. :) Have a great trip! (sorry - posted my reply earlier not realizing I was logged in under my husband's username)

Edited: 10 June 2018, 10:53
Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Iceland - Go all the way up to Hofn or stop at Hof?

We seem to have similar interests/travel habits so I wanted to chime in. I just stayed at FH Vatnajokull. Two things I did from there (backtracking just a tad) that I was very happy I did: Vestrahorn at Stokksnes (I enjoyed this more than Reynisfjara, tbh) and the hike that starts from the Stafafell Hostel (Hvanngil Canyon). I even mucked up the route a bit on the hike but it was just spectacular and so peaceful and quiet. Wonderful, tiring, serene outing that day. I bet it's even more amazing if you do it correctly. Ha!

When I checked out of the hotel, I went straight to Jokulsarlon for kayaking. I think it was a 45 min drive? If you're going as far as the glacier anyway, you could just drive a bit further east if either of the two activities above interests you.

Mentioned in this post
East Region, Iceland
Vestrahorn
Vestrahorn
41 Reviews
Hofn, Iceland
Reynisfjara Beach
Reynisfjara Beach
1,166 Reviews
Vik, Iceland
Jokulsarlon
Jokulsarlon
East Region, Iceland
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Iceland - Go all the way up to Hofn or stop at Hof?

This is so helpful! TY! I'll add these to my list/itinerary. I'm thinking we could possibly still do both from our hotel at Glacier Lagoon (just drive up there for a day trip), but we'll take all of that into consideration as we finalize. I keep going back and forth! :)

Reply to: Iceland - Go all the way up to Hofn or stop at Hof?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted