We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grundarfjordur?

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grundarfjordur?

My daughter and I are driving the Ring Road counter clockwise for 10 days in August. We are finishing on the west coast and was wondering if any one had a strong opinion on making time for the Snaefellsness Peninsula or driving into Reykjavik to spend two days there before we fly out. We will have stayed one night in each town around the ring except for 2 nights in Einarsstaoir to horseback ride. We just didn't know if the scenery was appreciably different from what we would have already seen making the detour worth it or would it be better to be able to relax in the same place for two nights before we fly out.

Thanks for your time and any input you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Ring Road
Ring Road
129 Reviews
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
4 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,686 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grundarfjordur?

Yes, I would definitely make time for the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, if you're not too tired. It's of course a personal choice. All Iceland is stunning, and I'm quite greedy with mesmerizing landscapes (and I love the coast).

If you go, don't skip the tip of the peninsula. That's where one of our 3 national parks is located, the Snæfellsjökull National Park.

(The other two are Thingvellir NP, and Vatnajökull NP).

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grundarfjordur?

Thank you for your suggestions, you've sold me, we'll definately go the the peninsula.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grundarfjordur?

Another vote for Snaefellsnes! I spent four nights of my recent trip there and it was not too much. Definitely better than two nights in Reykjavik. I would return to Iceland *just* to go to Snaefellsnes. Magnificent!!

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,580 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grundarfjordur?

Snæfellsnes is like falling right into a landscape painting. If you can make time to visit, it's well worth it!

Reply to: Grundarfjordur?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted