We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September - pre-book accommodation or not?

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
September - pre-book accommodation or not?

If I hire a car for the first 3 weeks of September to drive the Ring Road and Westfjords, do you think it will be essential to pre-book all of my accommodation or do you think it's late enough in the tourist season that I could "gamble" on finding places to stay as I go. I will be travelling solo and can be very flexible in my travel times / plans.

Mentioned in this post
Ring Road
Ring Road
126 Reviews
Iceland
6 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September - pre-book accommodation or not?

September, specially the beginning of it, is considered high season in many places.

It will consume a good deal of time to find an overnight stay that's not too expensive.

What I'm saying is... if flexibility is more important to you than budget, then you can try that. But if budget is a big issue for you then book as soon as possible.

Me, I would pre-book. My reason for that is just not wanting to use actual vacation time on logistics. You know, have the "problems" out of the list and just enjoy the visit.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September - pre-book accommodation or not?

Thanks for your advice. Maybe I'll pre-book some of the accommodation. But flexibility is certainly a bit more important than budget.

I'll be heading to the Westfjords early September for a week or so, and then back to the Ring Road and driving it clockwise (ie. heading north). Are there any places you think are more important to book than others?

Mentioned in this post
Ring Road
Ring Road
126 Reviews
Iceland
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,914 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September - pre-book accommodation or not?

If you don't pre-book you will have to take what is left at last minute prices and may have to spend valuable vacation time searching and/or driving to places that don't fit your itinerary.

In addition you may have to stay in places with a bad rating or without the level of comfort you may want. E.g. many people like private facilities, but many guesthouses or hostels only offer shared facilities.

Additionally especially in the Westfjords places start closing for the winter in September, so you may not have as many choices to begin with.

In addition areas like Mývatn or the South Coast between Hvolsvöllur and Jökulsárlón are often difficult at short notice or accommodation becomes very expensive as options grow scarce.

Have you checked for your dates, just to get an idea of what is available right now?

Mentioned in this post
Boston...
Level Contributor
19,318 posts
629 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September - pre-book accommodation or not?

Winter comes early in the Westfjords, you will need to be flexible as you might find you can't get to places you are considering in that area that time of year!

Bring blankets, too, as it's not unlikely you will find yourself with 100 or more miles to go to find lodging if your Plan A isn't available or reachable.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September - pre-book accommodation or not?

In the Westfjords, you should definitely prebook.

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September - pre-book accommodation or not?

A couple of years ago, we planned a September trip in February and had to settle for less than ideal (to say the least) lodging in a couple of places.

As Kim said, Myvatn and the South Coast were problematic.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 23:44
Mentioned in this post
Myvatn
Myvatn
45 Reviews
Reykjahlio, Iceland
Reply to: September - pre-book accommodation or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted