We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

Plano, Texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

I just booked a hotel through Expedia. Background: the hotel & room I wanted are $170/night on their website. Expedia charged me $209.80. Which is bad enough. Then, they added on "city taxes and extra fees" for a total of $540. WHAT?? $540 for a one-night stay in a $170 room?? As soon as I received my receipt/invoice, I tried to cancel. Expedia refuses to refund my money, as they say it's the "hotel's policy", not theirs. But when I tried to discuss it with the hotel, they have no idea what I'm talking about! Hmmmm... Expedia is a company of dirty, rotten, scamming LIARS. Do not trust them whatsoever. I keep having representatives from Expedia trying to encourage me to not cancel my reservation. UM, WHY WOULDN'T I? I can cancel it and rebook directly through the hotel, and it would STILL be less than $540, you jack**ses!

Fortunately, I have a supportive bank, and they are disputing the charge for me. I hope Expedia never sees ONE RED CENT from me.

Shame, shame, SHAME on you, Expedia! People are spending their hard-earned money trying to go see the world, and you are DECEIVING them STEALING from them.

11 replies to this topic
Sevenoaks District...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

where was this hotel?

Washington
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

Did you read all the fine print? I have booked through Expedia many times throughout the years, and to date have never had a problem.

Plano, Texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

Yes, the fine print said, fees may be charged. It did NOT say, "Fees more than the cost of your room will be charged". Watch out. They WILL take your money.

Plano, Texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

Icelandair Natura

https:/…natura

Plano, Texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

This is my reply from the Hotel when I asked for a cancellation. So it truly, truly IS Expedia's fault:

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for contacting us.

I see your booking with Expedia. It is actually confirmed at ISK 17901 per night. I do not know why Expedia is charging you that extra amount. As we have not received payment yet. Please contact Expedia for the refund. We are so sorry that we could not assist you further with cancellation for Expedia bookings, all cancellation must og through Expedia since it was originally booked through them.

If you have any further question, please do not hesitate to contact us. We would be happy to assist.

Kær kveðja / Best regards

CHRISTINE DI ZHENG

Reservations Agent - Reservations FIT

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,930 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

ISK 17,901 are about 170$.

I just did a mock booking and they do show extra taxes of 20$ for a 1 person booking in the summary before I complete payment.

No idea where the city taxes and extra fees would come in.

I hope you can cancel your booking.

Plano, Texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

Actually, Expedia is happy to cancel the reservation but refusing to refund me the $209.80. I am beyond frustrated. They keep telling me it's the hotel's fault, and the hotel clearly has no idea this is happening. What a SCAM. Expedia should be ashamed. Beware. They will steal your hard-earned money!!!

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

Call your credit card company and see if they can help you sort things out.

Plano, Texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

I have disputed the charge and hopefully it will not go through. I have all the supporting documentation that Expedia completely scammed me. It makes me sick to think they are getting ONE RED CENT from me.

Manchester...
Level Contributor
121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!

I had the exact same thing happen about 10 days ago. I also saw the extra charges pop up and immediately cancelled that.

I also will NEVER use Expedia again!

Reply to: Never, never book a hotel room through Expedia!!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted