We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Months it GENERALLY Snows in Iceland

New York
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Months it GENERALLY Snows in Iceland

I do understand that no one can predict the weather so the question is of a general nature. Which months are snow expected and which months is it snow free? For instance, I assume June, July and August are snow free? Correct. What about EARLY (first week) September?

Also has summer this year come in early, late or when it is generally expected?

I did check several weather-related websites but it only lists average temperatures not the likelihood of snow during various months of the year.

The reason I ask this question is that a person's competencies to drive on roads when it is snowing could influence whether one goes on a self-tour or a guided tour.

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 21:25
8 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,782 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Months it GENERALLY Snows in Iceland

It depends where you go, since for example the North, the Westfjords or the mountain passes or any elevated places can have snow earlier and longer.

On the Laugavegur and the Fimmvörðuháls some sections will have snow year-round. In the North we had snow in mid September last year.

If you want to be fairly certain to not encounter snow while driving I would pick mid June through early September, but there are no guarantees.

You should still check the conditions and forecast before leaving in the morning and decide against driving in any conditions you are not prepared to handle. This doesn't have to be snow, it could also be slippery roads in combination with strong winds, flooding or storm alerts.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 21:30
Mentioned in this post
Laugavegur
Laugavegur
2,280 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Months it GENERALLY Snows in Iceland

"For instance, I assume June, July and August are snow free? Correct."

Incorrect. It depends. It can snow any day of the year in Iceland. It depends on where you are and obviously what the temperature is.

So far this year we have had about 3 days of summer in the south. It has been wet, cloudy and cool. The summer is in the northeast.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Months it GENERALLY Snows in Iceland

June, july and august are *generally* snow free, but as mentioned depends on one's location.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,829 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Months it GENERALLY Snows in Iceland

I haven't seen the summer yet. I mean it.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,782 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Months it GENERALLY Snows in Iceland

Maybe it'll come in 41 days ;-)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,829 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply