We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on camera gear when visiting Iceland during Dec

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Questions on camera gear when visiting Iceland during Dec

Hi guys, I am planning to go Iceland this coming December and I have some questions regarding the type of camera gear I should bring during that period. Hopefully the experience photographers here can give some feedback. I will be shooting with the Fujifilm X-T1.

1) Is it a must to use weather resistance lens with the X-T1? I am planning to bring along the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm zoom lens but both are not WR lens.

2) If you can only bring 3 lens for the trip, which are the 3 zoom or focal length you would recommend?

3) How many batteries should I bring during the December winter month?

4) Are ND filter and polarizer filter essential?

Look forwards to what you guys have to share, thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
1 reply
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,698 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on camera gear when visiting Iceland during Dec

1. It's not necessary but you'll want a microfiber towel at hand. You can't shoot under pouring rain anyway. You and the lens have similar levels of tolerance.

2. Ultra wide angle for the northern lights, with a very large aperture. A walk-around lens. And maybe something up to 200mm if you bother to bring it.

3. Two or three. Same amount of chargers.

4. Hardly very useable in low light conditions such a December is, isn't it. If you find a waterfall that's not frozen, you can very easily get a 0.8'' exposure without the need of any ND filter at all. I am assuming of course that the lens in use is good at narrow apertures.

The tripod however is a total must. Or a bean bag.

Reply to: Questions on camera gear when visiting Iceland during Dec
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted