We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short notice time frame trip for parent and teen

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
91 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Short notice time frame trip for parent and teen

I have a chance to go to Iceland next week for 7-10 days or so. (June 17th -)

I read June is spring and very beautiful.

I'm just now researching so from what I have read it may be difficult to find accommodations outside of Reykjavik.

How hard is it to get hotels on this short notice?

Any suggestions on where/what to do?

Rent a car or take tours?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
4 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,874 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short notice time frame trip for parent and teen

You will have to check the booking engines like booking.com, bungalo.is or airbnb and see what is left and how expensive it will be.

The advantage of booking multi-day tours is that they have accommodation blocked for their guests.

If you can still find accommodation then renting a car would be fine, but make sure you get all the insurance you need and read up on the pitfalls and precautions when renting a car in Iceland, because the damage risk is higher than elsewhere and repairs and spare parts are very expensive.

You could mix and match from the following options:

Arrival day Reykjavík

1 day Golden Circle

1 day Reykjanes Peninsula

1 day activity tour (snorkeling Silfra, snowmobiling, glacier hiking, ice climbing, hiking, atv, horse riding etc.)

1 day Westman Islands by ferry

1 day Highland bus or seuperjeep tour to Þórsmörk in the Highlands

2-3 days South Coast to Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon and back or 1 day South Coast until Vík and back

1-2 days Snæfellsnes Peninsula

4+ days Snæfellsnes Peninsula plus North Iceland

For the multi-day trips you will need to find accommodation en route. The day trips are possible as (long) driving trips from Reykjavík

In ten days you could also drive the full ring road, but that would require extensive planning at very short notice and moving on pretty much every night.

Just in case you have found a cheap flight be aware that Iceland is a very expensive destination (especially at short notice) and that the flight may be the cheapest part of your visit. Enjoy your planning.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 03:34
Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
549 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Reykjanes Peninsula
Reykjanes Peninsula
78 Reviews
Iceland
Canada
Level Contributor
8,406 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short notice time frame trip for parent and teen

Top questions/answers down the rhs of the page. Or use the things to do tab above. Lots of itineraries already available but as Kim wrote , your problem will be lodging, Perhaps you will need to stay in Reykjavik and do day trips.

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
91 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short notice time frame trip for parent and teen

Thank you for the two comments! It sounds like it's better to plan Iceland a year out. So maybe pass on this opportunity and plan for next summer?

I'll look into that option as well.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,874 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short notice time frame trip for parent and teen

If you cannot find accommodation you like, then planning for next summer would give you a better chance to do your research and make it into exactly the vacation you would like. It all depends on availability and your expectations, I guess.

Reply to: Short notice time frame trip for parent and teen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted