We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thingvellir hike to Skogarkot

cleveland
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Thingvellir hike to Skogarkot

Amidst a busy July GC day (Thingvellir, Bruarfoss, Gulfoss, Reykjadalur) I was planning to do the hike to Skogarkot in order to see more of the park and get away from the crowds.

I know this is going to be a long day and this hike would add a couple extra hours to Thingvellir, but think its worth it. Does anyone have experience with this hike and can give thoughts on it? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Thingvellir
Thingvellir
South Region, Iceland
3 replies to this topic
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thingvellir hike to Skogarkot

"Worth it" is always very subjective. You will definitely get away from the crowds, however the hike is not the one to take if you are looking to overview the park in any way. It's a lovely walk where the (tacky) "what to do if one gets lost in an icelandic forest ?" comes into perspective.

cleveland
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thingvellir hike to Skogarkot

Thanks Rikki. Is there a different hike you would recommend there?

Germany
Level Contributor
317 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thingvellir hike to Skogarkot

I do not know about the hike to Skogarkot

BUT

The hike to Bruarfoss takes about 2 hours there and back plus any amount of time at the foss.

The hike to Reykjadalur will also take at least 2 hours, more likely 3 plus time for soaking in the stream.

So you may have to plan around that and possibly cut one hike or move it to another day.

Reply to: Thingvellir hike to Skogarkot
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted