We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help? Is this too much driving

Cary, North Carolina
2 posts
Itinerary help? Is this too much driving

Hi all, Our family will be travelling to Iceland next month. I thought I had my itinerary all planned out to stick to Reykjavik area and southern coast then a friend returned home from there and suggested I not skip Myvatn. I've been able to secure hotels, but my question is will this be too much driving? Everything is booked with free cancellation, so I can easily go back to my original plan.

Day 1

arrive 6 AM

Golden Circle

stay in Reykjavik

Day 2

drive to Akureyri

I am investigating stops on the way

overnight in Akureyri

Day 3

Godafoss

Dettifoss

Explore Myvatn area (still narrowing down which sites to do on which day)

Stay in Myvatn

Day 4

Explore Myvatn area more

Drive to Egilsstadir and overnight

Day 5

Drive to Jokulsarlon

Diamond Beach

Fjallsarlon zodiac boat tour

stay Fosshotel Nupar

Day 6

continue to explore region

stay Fosshotel Nupar

Day 7

drive south coast back to Reykjavik with stops along the way

Blue Lagoon

Day 8

depart

2 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary help? Is this too much driving

For me this is too much driving. It is not just about the distances to get places, but actually spending time there and enjoying the sights. But since this is July there will be a lot of daylight and good chances of good weather so it is a doable plan. You just have to ask yourself what kind of trip you want. If you are fine with a lot of driving and fast visits at sights then this is ok in the summer. If you want a slower pace to enjoy the surroundings, then I would focus on two regions of Iceland instead of the ring road.

Boston...
Level Contributor
23,685 posts
748 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary help? Is this too much driving

Day 1 you shouldn't try that much driving after an overnight international flight

Day 2 -- Reykjavik to Akureyri is over 5 hours of driving

You don't really have time to do the whole Ring Road safely in the time you have. You have time to see about half the country well, so you're going to have to pick the North or the South and save the rest for next time.

Reply to: Itinerary help? Is this too much driving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted