We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

Hi there, I'll be travelling to Iceland solo in the period of December to January, specifically the last week of December till the first week of January. I am not renting a car, and have already booked a couple of tours so I do not require any more tour suggestions as to how to fill up my remaining time in Iceland. However there are areas I would like to have more information on as I have been unable to get the specific answers that I need as the people who have the same queries as me are satisfied with the common answers of "booking tours".

1) Are there places in Iceland where I can go to / visit ALONE? Meaning to say that I do not require the booking of ANY tour regardless and I can get there myself by bus/foot. Perhaps visiting more rural areas or explore the landscape and sight see and then hop on a bus back at the end of the day. Or perhaps go off on my own little journey or follow on a 1 day walking trail. Are there any such areas/places to visit?

2) Buses. Do they run all year round or do they shut down during certain months/periods? Are there any limitations to buying a ticket from https:/…

3) Can i visit more popular areas on my own without coming in with a tour group. Like can I get to kirkjufellsfoss, vatnajökull national park etc on my own, enter and sightsee these places? Is there like some sort of entry fee or is it only strictly for guided tours to enter?

Any form of information on any of these would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
10 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

If you are not renting a car, skipping tours, and traveling one week after the winter solstice your only option will be to spend the 4 hours of daylight wandering reykjavik every dayfor 2 weeks.

This trip premise is fundamentally flawed. Have you researched Iceland at all?

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

Perhaps you have not read my first paragraph clearly or for some reason you're just so adamant on thinking that I have 0 clue or an inkling of what to expect in Iceland. Daylight is no issue to me. If it is to you then that's your problem but please do not get to thinking that just because there's only 4 hours of daylight then there's nothing else to do. If you have that in mind then I would think that you'd be the one who hasn't researched on Iceland at all. I've already mentioned that I have planned tours for myself. No where in this post have I mentioned that I am free and easy in Iceland for 2 whole weeks. If you have nothing constructive I'd suggest either not posting at all or perhaps try to read into more detail of other's enquiries.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

To OP, perhaps you don't realise how offensive your post no 2 'sounds' in particular ""' If you have nothing constructive I'd suggest either not posting at all or perhaps try to read into more detail of other's enquiries.""

This really encourages our local experts, and those who visit Iceland frequently to help you .... not.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

1) Visiting by foot or bus is much more difficult in the winter. Let's say you take a bus to somewhere in the countryside in the south for the day, assuming the bus is running since the weather could stop bus travel with high winds. You are dropped off in town and then what? You would have to get to the attraction by foot since buses don't go to tourist attractions. Let's say the weather is just normal winter weather with moderate winds and light rain mixed with snow, but then the winds pick up and it quickly becomes terrible outside. You are stuck. And let's say you walk back to town and wait for the bus. But, the bus is not running now because of bad weather.

That is the challenge with winter. There are two options. If a traveller is experienced driving in extreme winter weather, then they could rent a car. If not, then tours.

2) The Bus Pass that you linked to is only available in summer.

3) There are no fees for the places you list, but how will you get there and then get around?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

To add to Hildur’s description, you could also end up trying to make your way to or from town in the dark or dusk. Very bad idea to be alone on foot in the dark in freezing conditions.

La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
685 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

To clarify, there are many places you COULD go alone. It's quite safe, from a personal safety point of view (excluding weather and exposure.) But getting there safely could be a challenge without transportation. I don't think anyone here would recommend hikes of any duration by yourself in the winter, especially without reliable transportation to get you to safety if there is a problem. The problem of 4 hours of daylight is also real. It will be bitter cold in December, and once the sun goes down, if you are stranded, you run a real risk of severe hypothermia.

The rural towns in Iceland are very spread out and there is no frequent (or possibly any) public transportation between them. All of the locations you listed are free, and most are near the parking lot. You don't need a guide to see the waterfalls, etc. It might help if you list what tours you are taking.

What is your experience traveling near the Arctic? Don't be offended. Many people from tropical/sub-tropical areas have run into trouble in Iceland. They simply aren't prepared for the impact of the weather and isolation. Location experts here try to prevent that by preparing travelers ahead of time.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Canada
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

there are 100s of places that you can go to alone with NO admission IF you can get there by car or a bus system that is not really efficient even in summer.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

I am deeply puzzled by OP's agenda, as I will try to explain later in this post. Until then I am just going to give a general answer to each question.

|

1)

- The criteria, or agenda to speak of, for someone to be somewhere alone is relatively easy to come by while in Iceland.

2)

- Public buses are not a trustworthy source of travel as they run infrequently and have to be cancelled all the time for various reasons (we have the opposite of what Singapore has when it comes to public transport). Just scroll back to winter (say october to march) on their twitter feed and try to count the times they cancelled a bus last winter: https://twitter.com/straetobs a hint - they had it easy last winter, winter 2016 - 2017 was worse.

3)

- No entry fee, no guide on site, no security or a gate. However, as others have mentioned: You can't reach these locations without a transport. Either a tour bus or a rental car (recommend prior winter driving experience - and driving simulators do not suffice).

-

-

-

Now for my really puzzling part - and the reason I have much difficulty giving you direct answers. General public is not highly aware of this but some people actually come to Iceland to commit a suicide. Those who have already been here and completed their agenda had the exact agenda you seek for, that is:

- Getting somewhere rural.

- Getting there alone.

- Being unnoticed or cared for by others / fellow travelers.

- Getting someplace isolated enough to be alone and remain alone for an extended amount of time.

|

I sincerely hope you have other means than the one's I have now openly written about. If you *do* fit the criteria I wrote on I advise you to seek help with professionals as there is always another way out of the ill thoughts people have, the self loathing, the helplessness, the willingless to live, and the many, many other misconceptions one has nurtured for much too long.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 05:40
Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Boston...
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

OP's profile says they are from Singapore. The average temperature in Iceland for January and December is ~0C. The lowest temperature ever recorded in Singapore is 20C. I hope OP has been somewhere cold before.

OP - The website you linked in #2 in your initial post clearly states that they only run buses "15 JUN–31 AUG"

The only way to visit anything outside of Reykjavik in Winter is with your own car or as part of your tour. OP clearly has not done enough research on this trip. It is a 4 hour drive to Vatnajokull national park from Reykjavik in Summer.

OP's goal of" Perhaps visiting more rural areas or explore the landscape and sight see and then hop on a bus back at the end of the day" is literally impossible outside of the summer season

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
685 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)

Rikki, that’s a very thoughtful post, and thought provoking. Thank you for bringing that up.

Reply to: Travelling Iceland solo (not your typical question on tours)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted