We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur

Short Hills, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur

Hi! On Day 1 of my itinerary we are going to just hang out in Reykjavík, enjoy the Blue Lagoon, etc. This will be as much relaxing day as possible because we will be right off the plane early in AM with no sleep.

NIGHT1: Reykjavík

DAY 2

- Thingvellir (Þingvellir) National Park - Silfra Snorkeling

- Þingvallavatn lake

- Haukadalur to see Strokkur and Geysir

- Gullfoss waterfall

- Reykjadalur Hot Spring Thermal River

- Raufarholshellir lava tunnel

?? Langjökull ice tunnel ??? -

NIGHT 2: Sleep in Hvolsvöllur

Anything I need to change? Add / Remove?

FYI. 10 day trip. 2 adults. Late August. Love Nature. Minimum hiking (1-2 hours). All lodging is confirmed (sleep in Reykjavík, Hvolsvöllur, Vatnajökullare, Egilsstaðir, Myvatn, Myvatn, Blönduós, Snæfellsnes, Stykkisholmur, Reykjavik)

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,861 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Thingvellir
Thingvellir
South Region, Iceland
Haukadalur
Haukadalur
61 Reviews
Blaskogabyggd, Iceland
Strokkur
Strokkur
4,098 Reviews
Geysir, Iceland
Geysir
Geysir
South Region, Iceland
Gullfoss
Gullfoss
10,677 Reviews
Blaskogabyggd, Iceland
Myvatn
Myvatn
46 Reviews
Reykjahlio, Iceland
Stykkisholmur
Stykkisholmur
West Region, Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
9 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur

This looks good to me for an active day. If it were me I would skip the ice tunnel and just have more time outside at the sights. Or I would pick either the lava cave tour or ice tunnel. But, that's just my opinion. :)

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,448 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur

I don't think you'll fit in the ice tunnel, the cave tour and the Reykjadalur hike, especially since you need to book a guided tour on a fixed schedule for the first two and Reykjadalur takes 3+ hours. Plus you plan to add the Golden Circle sights which are usually a 6-8 hour trip by themselves...

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
555 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Short Hills, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur

Will there be other opportunities for ice tunnels later in the trip? Walking through one was definitely something of interest to us, however, if there are others later then we'll do it later?

Also, is Reykjadalur a hike to the Hot Spring or you can get to the Hot Spring without the hike?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,448 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur

There is an ice cave tour from Vík that runs through the summer. Check out Katla Travel or Arctic Adventures.

The ice tunnel is unique, but it is out of the way for a Golden Circle tour where you also want to include snorkeling, the lava tube cave and Reykjadalur. Check the sights out on a map.

You have to hike for about 45-60 minutes to the geothermal river at Reykjadalur from the parking lot.

The earliest option to snorkel Silfra is around 8:30, if you meet on location and will take 2.5 hours. It will take about an hour to drive there from Reykjavík. Then it would take around 2 hours to get to the meeting point for Into the Glacier, getting you there at 13:00 at the earliest. If you do the 14:00 tour, it will take 3-4 hours. So if you leave at 17:00 it would be another 2 hours of driving to get to Raufarhólshellir where you would have no chance to make the latest tour which starts at 17:00 and takes one hour. And that would be without having seen any of the Golden Circle sights.

You will have to decide. Snorkeling Silfra and Raufarolshellir would work, even with Reykjadalur if you start hiking later in the afternoon. Or you could do the Into the Glacier tour and the Golden Circle sights plus Reykjadalur, but without snorkeling and the lava cave tour.

Check the websites, the tour times and the driving distances and then try to figure out what to prioritize.

Also take into account that you have to pre-book the activities. Often time slots sell out well in advance in the high season.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Katla
Hotel Katla
676 Reviews
Vik, Iceland
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
555 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Into The Glacier
Into The Glacier
815 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Short Hills, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur

So... Actually, maybe we will not snorkel - unless its something really special. My wife will not go into the water if its not very warm :).

Also, perhaps I can go to the ice cave on the last day of my trip. I will be sleeping in Reykjavik and my flight is at 5PM.

Does that improve stuff a bit?

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,448 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur

The water is consistently between 2-4°C year-round, so it is very cold.

If you don't do the ice tunnel and don't go snorkeling, then I would plan out how much time you want roughly at the sights and book the cave tour for the afternoon. Then you'll need to keep an eye on the time to make sure you get to the meeting point in time for the tour. I would not calculate with more than 60 km/h for driving, plus make sure you include rest/food stops.

Then I would do the Reykjadalur hike after the cave tour.

Doing the ice tunnel on departure day won't work. You need to be at the airport around 14:30 and should plan roughly an hour to return your car. If you want to be at the rental place at 13:30, then you need to leave the Into the Glacier basecamp around 10:30. The first tour of the day leaves from Húsafell at 10:00 and the tour takes 3-4 hours, so this won't work at all.

If you want to plan realistically for Iceland you will have to map out the duration and driving distances for your sights and activities and plan your days around the things that have a fixed schedule and need to be pre-booked. Otherwise you won't get a realistic idea of what is or isn't possible.

If you want to do everything on your list for this area you would need 2-3 days in total.

Mentioned in this post
Into The Glacier
Into The Glacier
815 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Short Hills, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur

All that makes sense.

So.. we arrive in Reykjavík (DAY 1) with no sleep at 7AM. We were going to go to The Blue Lagoon Spa and maybe to Glymur or Reykjanes. Do you think it makes sense to do the Langjökull ice cave and then Blue Lagoon on the 1st day?

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lagoon Spa
Blue Lagoon Spa
4,496 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Glymur
Glymur
263 Reviews
Akranes, Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,861 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,448 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur

If you arrive on no sleep, Glymur or Langjökull are out of the question in my opinion and Reykjanes would still be risky, especially since you will most likely be relaxed and even more sleepy after the Blue Lagoon.

One second of inattention or distraction behind the wheel can lead to a head-on collision or rolling the car, because roads are narrow and mostly have no shoulders or guardrails.

Personally on a first time visit and on no sleep I would drive no further than Reykjavík on arrival day.

You won't be able to fit everything Iceland has to offer into a ten-day ring road itinerary. I am off to my 11th visit next month and I have maybe seen 30% of the country in detail.

So I think you need to prioritize your sights and activities in each area, get feedback on what is or isn't doable and then forget about the lower priority items until you come back for another visit.

Or if you have certain areas where you want to see and do a lot, consider forgetting the ring road and focusing on these areas for your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Glymur
Glymur
263 Reviews
Akranes, Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,861 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Short Hills, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur

Thank you Kim and HildurOsp. Day 3 post coming up. This is going to be the hardest one.

Reply to: Day 2 of my Itinerary - help needed. Reykjavík->Hvolsvöllur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted